Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Where to buy EGW picatinny mount?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Where to buy EGW picatinny mount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
I bought my own because they make good products and theirs is one of the LEAST expensive
I agree....All I use are EGW aluminum HD bases for my LR guns.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

Each to their own. You don't have to worry about me competing with you for them. A picatinny rail is one of the single least expensive parts of a custom rifle while being one of the most important. That is one corner I am unwilling to cut.

I am not saying they do not work but I do wonder how they can offer a product the same "quality" as the top tier manufacturers at half the cost.

I'll pass, thank you.

t

Old 04-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Each to their own. You don't have to worry about me competing with you for them. A picatinny rail is one of the single least expensive parts of a custom rifle while being one of the most important. That is one corner I am unwilling to cut.

I am not saying they do not work but I do wonder how they can offer a product the same "quality" as the top tier manufacturers at half the cost.

I'll pass, thank you.

t
If you know much at all about mass production and machining methods,.......AND you dont wish to GOUGE the hell out of customers...its easy.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post

I'll pass, thank you.

t

Also, fairly new companies to the block, don't tend to price-gouge until all their overhead is paid for, and the owners have already made their multi-millions. That's when the price-gouging begins...

So, not everyone out there wants to spend $150 on a NF rail, that is JUST as good and precision as the EGW rails, made of the same material, and machined to the same tolerances.

To me, it just seems obsurd to spend twice the money. You aren't really skimping on a rail, if the NF and Badger's are overpriced to begin with, you know?

I have 4 EGW rails, and never has any of them given me any issues.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Also, fairly new companies to the block, don't tend to price-gouge until all their overhead is paid for, and the owners have already made their multi-millions. That's when the price-gouging begins...
Price gouging is only possible in the event the buyer has no alternative such as fuel or supplies after a hurricane, tornado, tsunami etc. This is not gouging, it is selling a product at a price the market is capable of supporting. AKA Free Market Enterprise.

So, not everyone out there wants to spend $150 on a NF rail, that is JUST as good and precision as the EGW rails, made of the same material, and machined to the same tolerances.

Correct me here, if I am wrong. EGW rails are aluminum correct? $150 NightForce Rails have never been made out of aluminum. If EGW rails are just as good, lets find out how many are used in the military, law enforcement, Benchrest & tactical shooting crowds. Any bets the numbers will be in the single digits?

To me, it just seems obsurd to spend twice the money. You aren't really skimping on a rail, if the NF and Badger's are overpriced to begin with, you know?

I understand your thought process, I really do. However, from my point of view, most of my builds are custom rifles valued between $2k & $5k plus $1k to $2k in optics on top of them for a total package cost of between $3k & $7k. I consider the pic rail & ring selection to be the make it or break it component for a strong, repeatable, consistent rifle system.

As I stated above, I'm not saying they don't work & I won't say it either. I almost to the point of ordering one & torture testing it back to back with a NF, Badger, MK4, Seekins, USO, Murphy etc just to see if the EGW can hack it or not.

cheers,

Old 04-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

and because "its" used by the military its the BEST of its category? Pass me that crack pipe...I need a hit too!

Its no different that scopes used by snipers and wannabe's today. Back in REAL WORLD they used 8X and I think??..not sure...some 10X fixed glass. Now every guy that lays belly down to shoot has to have a 5-50 X with enough hash marks in the view finder to block the target out totally.

Military...yeah.."better"!
Old 04-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post

I have 4 also...but all of mine are 15 MOA instead of 20