Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

When will I ever learn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2005, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member

When will I ever learn

For my predator/varmint rifle I put a 8x32x50mm Black D iamond on it. Dangit 8 power is too much.Now I'm going to have to buy a new rifle,feel free to send donations. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2005, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: When will I ever learn

Maybe I have had too much champagne with dinner but that is too funny. I am sure your new gun will be a Weatherby. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

To go back to another conversation about prescription glasses we had. I was over on 6mm benchrest reading about this guy who shoots Palma 1000yds with iron sights and I really couldn't believe the group size he can get. Anyway buried in the article is a statement that he wears the Decot prescription glasses. They must be really good.

I cant do this good with a scope

[ QUOTE ]
I do not shoot a lens in either sight, but I do use prescription glasses from Decot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-25-2005, 08:42 PM
Gold Member

Ironworker, How close are you shooting? I use an old 10X Leupold on my varmint rig. Do you shoot with both eyes open? Lots of folks close their left eye, so you lose a lot of direction orientation. Shoot with both eyes open, and I think you'll find 8X is OK. Just my experience.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

What torture are you talking about!"Shoot with Both eyes open"!!!!!Oh know i need to now learn to write with my left hand.I've heard of that.When your target shooting do you shoot with both open?Last hunting I drew a pack in with my Fox Pro. I think they busted me right away. They ran up a Hill I bet 250 to 300YDS. I had a teriable time locating one. I aimed right on(It was an upward angle shot) I gave him a chest shave he turned on his afterburrners and vanished!.So with two eyes I could've lessened the Difficulty, is that right? "Never Stop Learning" by LAW [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-26-2005, 12:21 AM
Platinum Member

Interesting reading stuff. I'd like a Weatherby Pradator Master rifle. Its just there're so pricy! I've heard you still need to get stuff done to those rifles. Why not just buy a coustom?
Old 12-26-2005, 01:15 AM
Gold Member

Iron Worker, If you are having problems at 250 yds with an 8X scope, lowering the power is not going to help much. First thing I would do is check out my stock fit. Your rifle must point where you are looking without fussing with it. Close your eyes and throw up your rifle when pointing at something downrange. I'll bet that you are pointing either high or low because your rifles pull length is off. And yes, you do shoot targets with both eyes open if you are trained in that method. By looking with your left eye, you will get on the target faster. Your scope is also in your vision, but with practice, you will be much faster, especially on running shots where you need to swing and follow thru. You can practice indoors after you get your rifle fitting correctly. Look at a point on the wall and keeping your eyes fixed on the spot, throw up your rifle. The scope should appear in your vision. Check to make sure you didn't close you eye accidently. Also, did you ever check which eye is your master eye. Many people are right handed with a left master eye. If you are not using your master eye, it makes it very difficult to point at something and then acquire it in your scope. If you are shooting with the wrong eye, it does require some adjustments.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:25 PM
Bronze Member

My son is right handed and left eye dominate. The only way we (my Dad and myself) could get him to shooting good is to put a patch over his left eye, and then he doesn't have the trouble of his left eye trying to take over. On the other hand my Dad is left handed and right eye dominate. When we were pistol shooting he had to learn to shoot right handed, but with long guns he dosn't have any trouble shooting left handed.