Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Wheeler tools - any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 08:20 PM
Silver Member

Wheeler tools - any good?

I've seen a couple of tools made by Wheeler Engineering and am just wondering if they are any good.

Their F.A.T. Wrench with 10 bit set and their Level-Level-Level. I read a few reviews of the wrench and guys seemed to really like it but haven't found much on the scope level yet. Just wanted to check with you guys and see if any of you have used them and what you thought of them.

Thanks,
Darby
Old 06-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Wheeler tools - any good?

I bought a FAT wrench just so I can say "yes I torqued it". I know consider it a basic tool that you need, when I went though and check the action screws I learned a few things that I was not doing
Old 06-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

I have the Fat Wrench and the leveling kit. The fat wrench works good, but the allen head for Remington screws wants to wallow out the top of screw. I need to get a different allen . Scope leveling kits works best on Remington actions. I just mounted two scopes on Remington 's today, using those tools.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Gold Member

The Fat wrench is a good tool, not top of the line but worth what you pay for it.

The level-level-level is not worth it. The little bubbles are not precise and they work on few rifles. Even if you get the rifle level there is no guarantee that the turret or turret cap is level with the interior reticle. In fact I have seen several posts complaining that the elevation turret was not level.

There are better ways to level a reticle and take the cant out of the rifle.

Canting What do you think?
Old 06-21-2010, 10:42 PM
Silver Member

Thanks guys - and thanks for the link to the other thread - good information.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:45 AM
Miller Outdoors

I have both tools and feel they're both good for the price. I find the torque wrench particularly valuable.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

The FAT wrench is nice, especially for what you pay.

The level-level-level can be a PITA if you don't have a flat spot on the action to mount the magnetic level. I now use the short level from the L-L-L kit on top of the scope, and use this to be sure that the rifle is level:

EXD ENGINEERING : EXD ENGINEERING VERTICAL RETICLE INSTRUMENT - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools