Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

What's wrong with Leupolds VX-III CDS Scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 08:34 AM
Bronze Member

Re: What's wrong with Leupolds VX-III CDS Scopes

I hope nothing is wrong! I have a VX2 3-9x CDS on a 300 Win Mag for ELk hunting and have had no problems with it. I shot a ground hog match with it (200/300/500yds) and had to make on-the-fly adjustments as my zero was off from the CDS dial. From that shoot experience, I decided to up my magnification from 9x to 14x. Received my VX3 4.5-14x CDS last week, but haven't mounted it yet. The VX2 CDS will move to a 35 Whelen in the near future.

I looked at Nikon, Vortex, Zeiss, Bushnell and Weaver before deciding to stick with Leupold. As I transition from CHEAP scopes (Bushnell Banners, Simmons, Tasco, etc), I'm finding that Leupold and Redfield (Revolution) scopes have been ending up on my rifles.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:38 PM
Silver Member

Re: What's wrong with Leupolds VX-III CDS Scopes

My Burris Signature Select 4-16x44 made in the USA is much more clear than any Leupold VX II I ever looked through. You have to go to a VX III that costs more to get the optical clarity, and then you do not have the 4X zoom range and you will have spent more money as well.

Beretta bought Burris and dropped a lot of the good old models, so I might not buy any more of them as new, but if a used scope is OK then a Burris Signature Select will beat a Leupold that sells at the same price.

Leupold has nothing for the same price that compares to the Burris Timberline scopes. In fact, nobody I know has anything at the same price that matches the Burris Timberline scopes, but they are not a true high end scope, just a lot of bang for the buck and all that some people need. They are aimed at mountain rifle, rimfire, air rifle, lightweight varmint rifle and others needing a small, rugged scope with excellent image quality. Not a good scope for very low light due to the smaller objectives, but they perform better than you would think in low light considering the small objectives. I owned three different models of the Burris Timberline, so I would know, and still own 2 of them. The third was a trade-in for a Signature Select..

Last edited by FAL Shot; 10-19-2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: more info