Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Whats the proper scope magnification for the gun Im building

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

Whats the proper scope magnification for the gun Im building

I am in the process of building a 6.5X284 for mule deer and elk. This gun will be used for medium range work The farthest would be 700 to 800 yards. My question is if I go with the vortex viper pst..... would I be better off with the
4-16x50 or should I go with the 6-26x50. Which would you go with and why? I was thinking the 4x16 may be better because it will probably be plenty of magnification at 800 and the lower power should be better for light and close shots if they present themselves.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Silver Member

Re: Whats the proper scope magnification for the gun Im building

Definitely the 4-16X50, especially if it's a lighter rifle.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:49 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Between those two scopes, the 4-16x50 is the better choice. Both scopes have below average glare performance, but the glare in the 6-24x50 can be quite noticeable above 20X in some sighting conditions. There's no need for more than 14X unless you have vision problems or don't use a spotting scope.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 12-04-2012, 06:37 AM
Silver Member

A 6.5x284 for elk at 800 yards? I hope this is one of those times when "I told ya so" will not have to be said but dont call me when you are out trying to find your wounded elk.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako7STW View Post
A 6.5x284 for elk at 800 yards? I hope this is one of those times when "I told ya so" will not have to be said but dont call me when you are out trying to find your wounded elk.

Let me go ahead and be VERY SPECIFIC for those that like to get in ******* matches with people they no NOTHING about. I DONT need a lecture from you Sako. I asked a question about optics not a question about being an ass to someone you dont know. Maybe I should have been more clear. I like to punch paper at much longer distances than I like to shoot at animals.
I know I am somewhat new to these boards, but I am a guy that tries to contribute places and ask questions to learn. Im not into being an internet cowboy togh guy! If you feel the need to lecture me in the future, please pm me and I will give you my contact information so that you may confront me to my face instead on on a public forum. THANK YOU AND HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Silver Member

BTW....thank you to all that have helped, I appreciate it. Also it was mentioned earlier that the viper has the glare issue. This is not the first time I have read this, along with so so glass. I guess another consideration I am having is the sightron sIII. Is the glass and over all quality better with them than the vortex? Also does it bother most people that the sightron has no zero stop? is there a custon shop out there than is capable of installing them on the sightrons? Thanks for the help.....
Old 12-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member

Buy A Zeiss Conquest and forget the Vortex. 4.5-14 should work fine.