Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Whats a good 1000 Yard Range finder?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 09:06 AM

Re: Whats a good 1000 Yard Range finder?

Zeiss PRF is one outstanding rangefinder.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Gold Member

Well, I had been moderately satisfied with my Bushnell Elite 1500 until I went shooting this weekend with a friend who brought along his Swarovski. My Bushnell would read the same numbers as his when ranging steel targets at just under 600 yards. Mine would actually give the range a little faster. When we moved to 1033 yards it was a whole different ballgame. His would range every single time. He could even range the upper end of the field (nothing reflective there, just trees and grass) and get numbers around 1300 yards. My Bushnell never even gave me a reading on the steel targets. I couldn't get anything even with sitting down and holding it as still as possible. He actually borrowed my Bushnell for a few days and played with it, then decided on the Swarovski. I really don't want to have to spend more money, because my wife will kill me. But, honestly, I am thinking of selling the Bushnell and getting something different. I think that if 600 yards is the limit, then the Bushnell is fine. Go past that and I start getting very frustrated. Like I said, my friends Swaro was getting ranges without the need of a reflective object. Mine would need a mirror past 800 yards I believe to get a decent repeatable reading. Since there are not too many times that you see a deer standing next to a street sign, I think the Bushnell is history for me.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:34 PM

Hi guys,

I could use your expertise. I am new to long range shooting and the LRH site. I now need a rangefinder that can match my gun's capability. Like many, I don't have unlimited funds to spend so I am trying to get the most for my money. I am looking for a rangefinder to accurately range elk out to 1000 yards consistently under a variety of hunting conditions, but I don't plan on taking shots beyond 600 to 700 yards. My question is two-fold
  1. Is anyone familiar with the Newcon LRM 1200 or the new 1800 and 2200 models?
  2. Is the Bushnell 1500 going to meet my needs?
I will pay for quality. I just don't want to pay big dollars and not receive a big performance in return. I appreciate your recommendations!

Last edited by Rookie Marksman; 05-23-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.

Last edited by Hired Gun; 05-24-2013 at 09:58 AM. Reason: 6 year old thread
Old 05-24-2013, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Marksman View Post
Hi guys,

I could use your expertise. I am new to long range shooting and the LRH site. I now need a rangefinder that can match my gun's capability. Like many, I don't have unlimited funds to spend so I am trying to get the most for my money. I am looking for a rangefinder to accurately range elk out to 1000 yards consistently under a variety of hunting conditions, but I don't plan on taking shots beyond 600 to 700 yards. My question is two-fold
  1. Is anyone familiar with the Newcon LRM 1200 or the new 1800 and 2200 models?
  2. Is the Bushnell 1500 going to meet my needs?
I will pay for quality. I just don't want to pay big dollars and not receive a big performance in return. I appreciate your recommendations!
Just a word of caution for anyone reading this thread. The majority of the info is from 2007. There has been scads of changes and technology if laser RF's since then.

For the best bang for the buck today in 2013, I would go with a Leica 1600 CRF. I have tested many many RF's and when you look at the combination of enough laser strength and a small enough beam divergence to actually be on what you are trying to range at 1000 the Leica is a hands down winner for the under $1000 club. Just because you get a number fast it does not mean a RF is not grabbing something more reflective before or after the intended target. Trust me on this I have seen many top brands fail.

As for the Newcon, well I have not tested the recent units in the last few years. But when I did test a couple before the glass was comparative to milk and the aiming reticle was like throwing a net. Not precise at all and a large reticle with a large beam divergence will get you in trouble. That is why I tossed the Swaro's, they will lie to ya and they did it to me at a very bad time.

So, some things to watch for is a beam that is quite a bit smaller than 6 feet at 1000 yards, and a small aiming reticle. Leica has both. Swaro, Zeiss, Newcon or Bushnel do not.

Jeff
Old 05-24-2013, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the guidance Jeff! I am learning a ton from you guys.
Tom
Old 05-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Just a word of caution for anyone reading this thread. The majority of the info is from 2007. There has been scads of changes and technology if laser RF's since then.

For the best bang for the buck today in 2013, I would go with a Leica 1600 CRF. I have tested many many RF's and when you look at the combination of enough laser strength and a small enough beam divergence to actually be on what you are trying to range at 1000 the Leica is a hands down winner for the under $1000 club. Just because you get a number fast it does not mean a RF is not grabbing something more reflective before or after the intended target. Trust me on this I have seen many top brands fail.

As for the Newcon, well I have not tested the recent units in the last few years. But when I did test a couple before the glass was comparative to milk and the aiming reticle was like throwing a net. Not precise at all and a large reticle with a large beam divergence will get you in trouble. That is why I tossed the Swaro's, they will lie to ya and they did it to me at a very bad time.

So, some things to watch for is a beam that is quite a bit smaller than 6 feet at 1000 yards, and a small aiming reticle. Leica has both. Swaro, Zeiss, Newcon or Bushnel do not.

Jeff

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.