Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Whats a better rangefinder???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-14-2008, 11:56 AM
Silver Member
I have the bushnell elite 1500 and they were a decent pair of range finders until I started getting into really long range stuff. I could only get then to read out to 900 yards. So I stepped up to the swaros. I do not know to what distance you are shooting but that is my experience with the 1500. I am holding onto them for the time being as a back up pair but the swaros are nice and I was able to range pass 1300 yards the first couple times using them.

Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.' -Unknown

Unread 02-17-2008, 03:37 AM
You might consider a newcon 2000pro. I just got one due to some of the reviews on this site. My experience isn't quite as glowing as rum300's but I am happy with it all the same. I can get readings on trees to 1000 meters any time and have hit trees at 1350m. I have gotten cows at 850 meters and a tan horse at 935 meters (only when it was broadside). It will read with a crosshair or relatively small rectangle as a reticule, selectable to read yards or meters, near, far or best reading (but I haven't found it makes a difference-maybe it's not working??) and will give a compass reading at the same time. It can also read speed (kph or mph). Cost was $475 shipped from Brigade Quartermasters Ltd. The negatives are mine reads wire fencing or leafless trees instead of the object I'm trying to range in the distance so it has to be a clear line of sight, it won't range in fog (I think all range finders have trouble??). The optics are non adjustable but even though I need glasses for distance the clarity is spot on when 15 yards or 1200 yards (magic??). I have gotten a 1740 meter reading on the rear of a semi (large reflective target) and wouldn't be surprised if it would go farther as I've only been ranging for a week. The warranty is 1yr but for $35 you can extend it to 3yrs. Do a search and you can find lots of range finder threads here and at snipershide.
Unread 02-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Bronze Member
whats the difference between the CRF 1200 and the LRF 1200? I can get a new LRF 1200 for $349 shipped, but I don't want to buy junk. Whats the best price anyone has on the CRF? Thanks.
270 A.M Custom
Unread 02-19-2008, 11:48 PM
LRF is a little bigger, it is the older model. It will not fit in a shirt pocket. That being said, it will work fine. CRF is the newer smaller model no ranging advantage, just a little more expensive.
It ain't broken till its on fire!
Unread 02-20-2008, 02:22 AM
Silver Member
I currently own two rangefinders. My old one is a Bushnell compact 800(although not so compact by today's standards). I have had no problems out of this rangefinder. The reticle is easy to see, it ranges accurately(compared reading with a swaro several times) and has held up to years of hunting and shooting. I have well gotten my $ worth from them.

I also have the swaro rangefinder it is a top notch outfit. I have owned it 2 yrs now and I am very pleased. My only complaint about the swaro, is the ranging button is noticibly harder to press than my bushnell's. Making it harder to stay on target while trying to range. But if you attach a tripod this is not such a problem, its almost a must for the extended ranges. I wonder if others have noticed the same with the swaro's compared to others. That being said, the swaro's kick the bushnell's @$$ in low light conditions. Plus double the ranging capability.

I have also heard good reports from the leica's. Their compact 1200 are truly compact.

If you intend to shoot out to 1K or further, I would opt for the swaro's or leica's.
Unread 02-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Bronze Member
Originally Posted by tjbill View Post
Silvertip-Co - Do yourself a big favor and spring for the Leica or Swaro. I have the CRF 1200 and love it. It fits in my shirt pocket, it's easy to use, and gets out over 1200 on reflective targets. I routinely range the 1000 yard hillside where we shoot in rain, snow, sleet, whatever. I just saw it at the Sportsman's Warehouse for $599. I've heard great things about the Swaro but never used one. Beg, borrow, or steal the extra C-note and never look back. Best of luck.

I would like to know what kind of results you are getting over heavy snow with the Leica 1200 on coyote size animals. Thanks.
Unread 02-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member
Thanks guys for all the input. I'll see how fast my current one sells and how much tax return Unka Bushy sends me back, then make a decision.

NRA Life Member