Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

What is your Long Range scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What is your Long Range scope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
Only Tasco I ever had I used as a hammer
Awesome quote. I'll bet it was only marginally better as a hammer than it was as a sport optic.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

Vortex PST 6-24x50mm FFP MOA with a Vortex custom elevation turret. Turret clicks and reticule are both MOA and the clicks are extremely accurate even after adjusting them hundreds of times. Also Vortex has the best warranty in the business. The Custom turret is dead nuts accurate at all distances.

Read this:

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=564977&highlight=

gt40
Old 09-21-2013, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

I'm currently running Vortex HS LR's, the reasoning is my range finder is only good to 1200 yards so I can only hunt that far but I GPS much longer range targets so I like to have enough elevation to reach 2000 yards. The elevation clicks are 1/2 MOA and I use a turret tape from Custom Turret Systems which get most of my hunting rifles to 100-1100 yards in one turn which lets me get windage, yardage and MOA on the tape and still be inside my effective range. The HS LR has the good PST elevation turret but has a covered windage which I like since you can't zero stop a windage turret so it stays safe and I use windage holds on the reticle or if I have time I'll unscrew it. I will never again own an optic without a zero stop or that has a windage turret that does not count from zero in both directions!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 09-21-2013, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
When ya get a REAL close look at different items it sure makes a guy wonder.

But then one day when I drove past the "Craftsman" tool plant...........
Yes. it does, but then creative marketing is everything.

Always wondered where 'Craftsman' tools were made or if they came from an overseas container..... Suprise me....

I always considered your town to be the undeniable seat of techinical aristocrats, at least 30 years ago it was. It started in Sidney, Ohio (Monarch Machine Works) and progressed to the river with high points at Cincinatti-Milacron and General Electric Turbine Engine Division.

Back in the day, I hauled some monster machines out of Milacron. Was a bitch getting into and worse getting out of (with oversized loads) but I enjoyed every minute of being there and made some serious jack too.

I often wonder about optics and firearms in general. It makes no sense (from a mass manufacturing point of view) for optics makers or firearm makers to actually make each intrinsic part. If they did, they would all be priced like Schmidt and Bender or Sako TRG's, in other words, too expensive to appeal to or be afforded by the masses (you and me).

That leads me to believe that all consumer grade optics and firearms share intrinsic parts and/or in the case of optics, just rebadged in a different brand name.

To balance price point against profit is a delicate task.

Something to ponder.

and..........No Trashco's on anything other than a couple 22 target pistols. They do make a nice 30mm red dot for under 60 bucks btw.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Yes. it does, but then creative marketing is everything.

Always wondered where 'Craftsman' tools were made or if they came from an overseas container..... Suprise me....

I always considered your town to be the undeniable seat of techinical aristocrats, at least 30 years ago it was. It started in Sidney, Ohio (Monarch Machine Works) and progressed to the river with high points at Cincinatti-Milacron and General Electric Turbine Engine Division.

Back in the day, I hauled some monster machines out of Milacron. Was a bitch getting into and worse getting out of (with oversized loads) but I enjoyed every minute of being there and made some serious jack too.

I often wonder about optics and firearms in general. It makes no sense (from a mass manufacturing point of view) for optics makers or firearm makers to actually make each intrinsic part. If they did, they would all be priced like Schmidt and Bender or Sako TRG's, in other words, too expensive to appeal to or be afforded by the masses (you and me).

That leads me to believe that all consumer grade optics and firearms share intrinsic parts and/or in the case of optics, just rebadged in a different brand name.

To balance price point against profit is a delicate task.

Something to ponder.

and..........No Trashco's on anything other than a couple 22 target pistols. They do make a nice 30mm red dot for under 60 bucks btw.
I live about 4 miles from the Batavia Milacron plant and drove the 27 miles to GE for 37 years. I did exhaust systems for many years and then moved to front frames an such on all the military engines.

But you are dead on target about each building another labels items. I remeber back when GE got out of the small appliance business......sold it all to Black and Decker.....but on the store shelves it still said GE on them......
Old 09-22-2013, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

I have Huskemaw 5x20's on my two 6,5x284's and a Nightforce G7 on my 300WM. Both brands have good glass, are rugged, and are dead on with turret reproducibility . I like the Huskemaws weight and size for my 10-11 pound 6.5's used for 1000 max range medium game, and coyotes at any range. These rigs balance nicely with this scope. I like yardage turrets for this work. For longer range hunting and larger game I like the Nightforce 5.5x22x50 on my 300WM. Being heavier anyway, the size and bulk of the NF is negated and the rifle feels well balanced. I really like the reticle and turrets on this scope. I use a combined yardage turret that also has a very readable lower MOA scale for +1000 yards shots. The reticle substention is perfect for me, and the added 600 yard ladder is good for fast closer shots. Also has a 1 MOA wind correction scale. With all this the view is not cluttered. IMO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 09-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Gold Member

yes, I will look at both of these as Im having a hard time spending over $1000 I looked at Zeiss, and vortex, leupold, NF,well $1800 That a bit to much.

Right now my first goal is taking a coyote at 400

Im going to have to sell me Leupold 4.5-14 Var3

G