Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

What scope would you put on my .270?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 07:27 AM
Silver Member

Re: What scope would you put on my .270?

Maybe I'll just buy a Weaver Grand Slam mil/mil 3-10...
Old 05-11-2013, 08:27 AM
Silver Member

Never seen where 4.5 power on the low end was too much. Must be hunting in some super thick brush! I agree with mudrunners suggestion that power range of a scope is about perfect, although a 4x16 power would be better IMO. I just recently got a semi custom 270 winchester built also. I am leaning towards getting the zeiss 4.5x14x50 with target turrets.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Silver Member

This isn't really a long range build, but a short range rifle CAPABLE of 400 yard shots. I just don't need anything over about 10x, and with most of my shots being sub-100 yards in brush, 3x would be better.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megastink View Post
This isn't really a long range build, but a short range rifle CAPABLE of 400 yard shots. I just don't need anything over about 10x, and with most of my shots being sub-100 yards in brush, 3x would be better.
3-9X-50mm objective Zeiss Conquest. Crystal clear glass and a 50mm objective for lower light viewing
Old 07-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Silver Member

I purchased the Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x50 with hunting turrets and Z-plex reticle for my 270 Win. It's a big scope at 14 inches in length. I really like the reticle alot more compared to the Leupold Duplex. The finer lines are longer or more spaced out than the leupolds that are so close together.

I have read several posts stating the reticle was too thick at long range. Not sure why they were saying that. The inner crosshairs are pretty thin. The glass is very nice.

I ended up putting this scope on my longer, heavier barreled, 7mm Remington Magnum, due to it's size. It looks better on it than on the lighter barreled 270.

I'm now looking at the 3.5x10x50 Zeiss scope for my 270.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLIEDUECE65 View Post
I purchased the Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x50 with hunting turrets and Z-plex reticle for my 270 Win. It's a big scope at 14 inches in length. I really like the reticle alot more compared to the Leupold Duplex. The finer lines are longer or more spaced out than the leupolds that are so close together.

I have read several posts stating the reticle was too thick at long range. Not sure why they were saying that. The inner crosshairs are pretty thin. The glass is very nice.

I ended up putting this scope on my longer, heavier barreled, 7mm Remington Magnum, due to it's size. It looks better on it than on the lighter barreled 270.

I'm now looking at the 3.5x10x50 Zeiss scope for my 270.
Ah ha! I see we have created another convert and believer in the Conquest scopes. The truly are remarkable pieces of glass for their pricetags. Be sure to post pics of both one you get the other installed.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.