Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics


Reply

What scope would you put on my .270?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Old 05-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: colorado
Posts: 825
Re: What scope would you put on my .270?

Id go with the zeiss as well. But im not sure if you can add target turrets to the 3x9-40 model?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 4,515
Re: What scope would you put on my .270?

Zeiss MC Conquest Rifle Scope 4.5-14x 50mm Side Focus Target Turrets

Here's your perfect scope for your .270 for hunting. They'll be back in stock on the 24th, and you can go ahead and order it and wait for it to come in. When it comes in, Midway will ship it out to you. That's a great company to deal with, if you've never shopped with them before. As far as online retailers go, that's about the best company I've ever dealt with. And thteir UPS ground shipping is fast as hell. On average it takes 2.5 business days (3 tops) for them to ship things from their location in Earth City, MO to me in Alabama...
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 194
Re: What scope would you put on my .270?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Zeiss MC Conquest Rifle Scope 4.5-14x 50mm Side Focus Target Turrets

Here's your perfect scope for your .270 for hunting. They'll be back in stock on the 24th, and you can go ahead and order it and wait for it to come in. When it comes in, Midway will ship it out to you. That's a great company to deal with, if you've never shopped with them before. As far as online retailers go, that's about the best company I've ever dealt with. And thteir UPS ground shipping is fast as hell. On average it takes 2.5 business days (3 tops) for them to ship things from their location in Earth City, MO to me in Alabama...

Though its a great optic, it's not perfect for me. Many if my shots are between 50-100 yards. Some of those shots are closer, and a 4.5 on the low end might make things tough to pick up at close range. I want something 2-3 power on the low end, 4.5 is too high. The 3-9x50 fits my rifle well. Not to mention the 4.5-14 is WAY out of my price range.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: colorado
Posts: 825
Re: What scope would you put on my .270?

Do u need the 50mm objective? Im not trying to talk you out of it just wondering aloud. With your shots being close you may not need it. Plus it will save u money. Try to get to a local store at dusk to look through all your choices.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-10-2013, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 4,515
Re: What scope would you put on my .270?

Quote:
Originally Posted by megastink View Post
Though its a great optic, it's not perfect for me. Many if my shots are between 50-100 yards. Some of those shots are closer, and a 4.5 on the low end might make things tough to pick up at close range. I want something 2-3 power on the low end, 4.5 is too high. The 3-9x50 fits my rifle well. Not to mention the 4.5-14 is WAY out of my price range.
Didn't realize you were shooting so close....My bad.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 194
Re: What scope would you put on my .270?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boman View Post
Do u need the 50mm objective? Im not trying to talk you out of it just wondering aloud. With your shots being close you may not need it. Plus it will save u money. Try to get to a local store at dusk to look through all your choices.
My supplier actually has the 50mm cheaper than the 40mm Objective.

Plus, I'm wondering if why you would be against it? Besides the fact that its bigger, it will only make the picture clearer. Why NOT a 50mm?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 1,491
Re: What scope would you put on my .270?

Quote:
Originally Posted by megastink View Post
My supplier actually has the 50mm cheaper than the 40mm Objective.

Plus, I'm wondering if why you would be against it? Besides the fact that its bigger, it will only make the picture clearer. Why NOT a 50mm?
Taller rings will be needed, and it may make it more difficult to get as good cheek weld and a repeatable mount when shouldering your rifle. There is a definite difference in shouldering a rifle with a 40mm objective vs a 50mm objective which requires taller rings. In addition it doesn't make the picture any clearer - the glass quality is still the same. The benefit is that the larger objective lens allows more light in during low light situations. So, the first or last few minutes of the day is where it may have the advantage.

The 3-9x40 is still available around $400 online, and with patience you may find it less here in the classifieds or on eBay.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do you plan to buy a new custom rifle in the next 12 months?
YES - Of course - 73.10%
1,552 Vote
NO - wife/girlfriend won't let me. - 26.90%
571 Votes
Total Votes: 2,123
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC