close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Reply

What scope if not Nightforce

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 03-28-2010, 02:14 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: colorado
Posts: 1,061
What scope if not Nightforce

So I'm trying to decide what scope to put on my new rifle. It's a 7AM built by Kirby. It seems most folks on here use Nightforce scopes on their longrange rigs. But from what I've seen so far from Nightforce I'm just not sure that's what I want. I really don't care for the moving ocular lens or the fact that I have to pay extra for a Zero stop and to have mil turrets added. But I'm not even sure I want to go mil/mil yet. Moa/moa could work I think but I don't like having the scope on one power to use the reticle so I think mil mil is the way to go for me. So my question is what scope do you recommend that has mil mil, zero stop, FFP in a 5-20 or close power range? I'd like to stay in the Nightforce dollar range, which appears to be about $2000 or a little more. What do you think?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 03-28-2010, 08:32 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 7,001
    Re: What scope if not Nightforce

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boman View Post
    So I'm trying to decide what scope to put on my new rifle. It's a 7AM built by Kirby. It seems most folks on here use Nightforce scopes on their longrange rigs. But from what I've seen so far from Nightforce I'm just not sure that's what I want. I really don't care for the moving ocular lens or the fact that I have to pay extra for a Zero stop and to have mil turrets added. But I'm not even sure I want to go mil/mil yet. Moa/moa could work I think but I don't like having the scope on one power to use the reticle so I think mil mil is the way to go for me. So my question is what scope do you recommend that has mil mil, zero stop, FFP in a 5-20 or close power range? I'd like to stay in the Nightforce dollar range, which appears to be about $2000 or a little more. What do you think?

    Thanks
    There are lots of options on what scope to choose so it realy boil down to what you like.

    If not the Nightforce then I like the Leupold Mark 4. There are lots of choices of reticles,
    mill dots, focal planes.turret styles ETC. Plus the Leupold's are lighter than the nightforce
    if weight is a problem.

    They will cost any where from $1100.oo to $1800.oo depending on the options.

    J E CUSTOM
    __________________
    "PRESS ON"
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 03-28-2010, 12:38 PM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2007
    Location: Patagonia Mountains, Arizona
    Posts: 770
    Re: What scope if not Nightforce

    In my opinion it makes sense to pick a scope based on the job it needs to do. Certainly Nightforce scopes are good quality, but there may be good reasons to choose something else.
    1. Prefer a lighter weight scope.
    2. Want much better low light capability such as a Gen III night vision scope.
    3. Concerned over breaking any scope in rugged terrain and would rather it be a cheap one.
    4. Want more field of view than the lowest magnification available in a Nightforce.
    5. A scope costing 1/2 or even 1/10 as much may not the limiting factor in aiming at the target. Wind estimation, range estimation, or ammo velocity spread can be limiting instead. Money should be spent in reducing the real error sources.
    6. Twiddling knobs is slower for getting on target than a precision reticle like those from Horus vision and others. ( I believe NF does offer some of the Horus reticles).

    Each of the above have been reasons (or excuses) why I haven't bought a Nightforce scope for my various rifles.
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 03-28-2010, 01:29 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2005
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 1,845
    Re: What scope if not Nightforce

    NF is a good mid line scope no doubt I use them on my competition rifles but to step up in durability and performance the USO is tough to beat. Others like the S&B PMII are outstanding as is March (I do not own a March however have handled and looked through one at a match) the best thing about this is you have a lot of choices..
    __________________
    The Truth Is Not Always Good For Business!!
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 03-28-2010, 01:56 PM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2008
    Posts: 868
    Re: What scope if not Nightforce

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
    NF is a good mid line scope no doubt I use them on my competition rifles but to step up in durability and performance the USO is tough to beat. Others like the S&B PMII are outstanding as is March (I do not own a March however have handled and looked through one at a match) the best thing about this is you have a lot of choices..
    Would you consider the March? I was kicking it but didn't lioke the warranty.
    mike
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 03-28-2010, 03:36 PM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2007
    Location: Patagonia Mountains, Arizona
    Posts: 770
    Re: What scope if not Nightforce

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike33 View Post
    Would you consider the March? I was kicking it but didn't lioke the warranty.
    mike
    You can find $200 scopes with excellent warranties. It's likely the manufacturer can afford to replace it if it breaks and still make money.
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 03-28-2010, 04:58 PM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Aug 2009
    Location: Cheyenne
    Posts: 514
    Re: What scope if not Nightforce

    Quote:
    Moa/moa could work I think but I don't like having the scope on one power to use the reticle so I think mil mil is the way to go for me.
    I don't understand this statement. The location of the reticle determines where the reticle properly subtends, not the type. Both MOA and MIL reticles will only subtend correctly at one power if they're in the second focal plane. And they'll both always subtend correctly if they're in the first.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: What scope if not Nightforce
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    WTS/ Nightforce NXS Scope gwarden45 Optics For Sale 15 08-02-2011 10:38 AM
    Nightforce scope pud Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 4 06-21-2010 11:47 AM
    Which Nightforce scope MN Hunter Equipment Discussions 9 03-21-2009 12:16 AM
    NightForce Scope cousehunter Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 9 01-05-2007 07:27 AM
    WTB Nightforce NXS scope JustC Guns For Sale 0 12-26-2002 10:46 AM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC