Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

What scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2004, 06:59 AM

What scope

I am new to the LRH scene but have shot since I can remember I currently run .223, .243 & .308 rifles all fitted with fixed power Schmit & Benders now I am starting to push the ranges out (on targets at the moment) I feel more magnification is needed but would also like to drop magnification if the need arises. The reason I stuck with fixed mag was to save altering zero as I zoom up or down. I know that there are scopes that do not shift when zooming but don't know what they are called or if S&B do them (would like to stick with S&B) can anyone help??

Thanks
Leon

p.s I am in the U.K

[ 09-03-2004: Message edited by: Leon ]
Old 09-04-2004, 04:17 AM
Gold Member

Re: What scope

Sir, the scope you describe is called a front or first focal plane reticle. Most European scopes are as well. Most US/Jap scopes are rear or second focal plane.
Sheperds are both. Most all S&B variables are FFP.

While it is a superior reticle placement, the US has been slow to embrace this concept.
We seem to prefer a reticle that stays the same size, as doesnt "grow". Not me though.

If I were you, I would stick to the S&B line of scopes. I mean, they are only the finest hunting scope in the entire world. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] IMHO, of course. And as I understand it, they are more affordable for you than for us.

Most guys on this forum are wanting to upgrade from a Tasco or Bushnell to a Leupold. You are already at the top of the food chain, Brother.
Not a bad place to be.

It like a wet dream for me to live in a place where your "standard issue scope" is a S&B. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Holy cow!!!!

Anyway, how far out are you looking to shoot?
Budget?? (In US dollars, if you please.)
[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Reticle choice?? Duplex, ranging, mil dot?

I'm sure the gang will chime in here soon.

You'll get some good intel on this forum.

I was just trying to set it up so we could find out more about your needs and or wants first.

Welcome to LRH!!!
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ..sakofan..
Old 09-04-2004, 06:11 AM
Gold Member

Re: What scope

Leon, i can probably get you a decent price on a S&B here in Germany, beat York Guns or Sportsmans either way, Which scope you looking at? I use a 3-12x50 and a 4-16x50 PMII. They are the dogs you knows, superb. I have also used the 4-16x50 long range hunter. I like the PMII line better. you will not see any zero shift on this kind of scope as already explained. I have found the PMII to be 100% reliable, i have been using the 3-12x on up to 4 different rifles , all fitted with a picatinny rail, i just swap the scope over, torqu up the Badger rings adjust the scope for the known ( i tested it thoroughly) deviation between rifles, smack on the money every time, which is a credit to Badger and S&B alike. drop me a mail if you need a helping hand. Pete

[ 09-04-2004: Message edited by: Pete Lincoln ]