Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

The thread is closed

What rifle scope would you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2005, 04:38 PM
Gold Member

Re: What rifle scope would you use?

Pete, that thinner reticle is what made me take the decission and go for a SB . Also agree that thick reticles ( as the TDS I have in my swaro are too wide/thick for lr).

Grizz, good thing that the NXS can come with mil turrets. But I cannot agree on the FFP heap, at least if one is planning to use the holdover system and not always depend on cliking the turrets. There may not be a big difference in POI in a second FP at diferent magnification, but I think using mildots or similar reticles for holdover ( or under)at under max. or not the correct power magnification can end up in a clear miss.

Old 12-12-2005, 04:58 PM
Bronze Member

my S&B 3-12x42 KLASSIK with #9 reticle subtends:

Distance of bars: 18,8 inch/100 Yard

Thickness of Crosshairs: 0,3 inch/100 Yard

Thickness of bars: 2,8 inch/100 Yard

Diameter of circle: 18,8 inch/100 Yard

this was the main reason i picked it over the other reicles. in the zenith, the corsshairs are thicker for the #9 and #7

opening between posts: 50,40 inch/ 100Yard

crosshair coverage: 0,47 inch/ 100Yard

post coverage: 4,70 inch/ 100 Yard

I prefer the posts to be closer than what the zenith offers..... and the crosshairs thinner as well
Old 12-12-2005, 05:16 PM
Gold Member

Very surprised at the Swaro reports. Had a 3-12 for a long time with no probs at all...got many friends with Swaro too (but don't know anyone using Japanese scopes!). Is S1 a leupold employee? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
There may not be a big difference in POI in a second FP at different magnification

[/ QUOTE ] ...Alg..I know I'm preaching to the choir, but, the whole deal is that with 1st FP there is NO difference! If you're 2nd fp, not only are you only 'subtending' correctly at one partic magnification (with all the potential probs that you illustrate) but, because of wandering POI at different mags, you're only shooting for group at one set mag too.....it makes no sense [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

By the way...did you get that TDS subtension stuff I sent to you way back?

Pete,
That gat arrived yet?
Old 12-12-2005, 10:43 PM

Brown Dog

Perhaps you missed the point about anything close enough to turn the power down on in a tactical situation does not need to be ranged, and the vast majority of the time there is not time to range a target that close anyway. Simple reality.

It is also nice to know that you and your friends buy scopes from the Swarovski family. The famous crystal company run by liberal women who detest the military and the thought of long range shooting, hunting, and sniping. I will spend my money with companies run by people with some sense.

When you can shoot half as good as guys like S1, I will stop laughin at ya. Seen him make several one shot kills at distances past what you can range at, so be careful talkin smack about operators you don't know.

With all the point of aim shift trash you guys talk, you must think the Canadian boys that made the longest recorded shot must walk on water. Don't worry though, that NXS they used to kill past 2400 meters only works when it is on a rifle with a Lilja barrel. Just think how many they could have killed if they had a S&B.....OH IM SORRY, I FORGOT!!!
They did have an S&B before they installed the NXS and their rifle got more accurate.

The erector tubes move under recoil on the S&B and the colder the weather the less consistent their tracking becomes. Unless you are a weather God, and control the temps you shoot in, you better pay attention to facts like that and get off the FFP hype wagon. It may be time to worry about things that work in the real world. Which is why the NXS has no pears when it comes to killin a long range. Just ask the guys that got wacked in Operation Anaconda by our Canadian Brothers....oops...too late they are already dead.

Is Brown Dog a Playtex Employee?

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2005, 01:21 AM
Silver Member

If memory serves S1 was kicked off at least 1 forum for being abnoxious. Think he started his own forum.

David
Old 12-13-2005, 02:53 AM
Gold Member

Grizzz,

Your int / intel is amazing; my research work for Playtex has been of an unpaid /freelance nature and is not widely known. I would, however, consider myself an expert on assessment of frontal form and fit as well as rear-linking device decoupling. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Your 'tactical' assertions are noted, however this isn't a tactical site...plenty of those around. If you want to 'out-keyboard' others about tactics; they are the places to go. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm impressed by your principled stand on Swarowski : [ QUOTE ]
The famous crystal company run by liberal women who detest the military and the thought of long range shooting, hunting, and sniping. I will spend my money with companies run by people with some sense.

[/ QUOTE ] but, given the proximity of today's date to Dec 07; I'm a little confused as to your thinking with regard to Japanese products!? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2005, 11:19 AM

Brown Dog [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Pete Lincoln quote:

"my money, and that or the US, Canadian, British and a fair few others is on the S&B.
Pete"

You just have to love it when guys say stuff like the above quote, like it is actually true and there is IS NOT overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Evidence like Naval Special Warfare uses the NXS models exclusively for their day scopes. Check Fedbiz.com and look at these contracts....N0164-05-D8553 and N0164-05-D8558

The NXS was not even allowed into the Marine Competition because of political manuevering. However the Special Forces of the Marines including 1st Recon Detachment and S/S from the 4th ME Counter Terrorism Brigade, who have their own budgets all chose the NXS.

Not to mention the AMU who you can call and ask why they chose the NXS and purchased over 100 of them.

Lets not forget the German GSG9's who all shoot NXS scopes instead of buying their own country's products.

And don't forget the elite Canadian SF units that all use NXS scopes even though they are issued the other brand.

Both USO and S&B have won some contracts, but the NXS was not allowed for consideration because of political stunts when they did. The fact remains the the Elite SF units of the Free world use the NXS because their weapons are more accurate with the NXS mounted on them, and the scope is tougher than anything else on the market by a long shot. That is why it is mounted on every Naval Special Warefare 50 cal. deployed today.

Telling partial truths like the above quote is just plain misleading and inaccurate. Its not about Tactical vs. Hunting. It is about being honest. Telling the whole truth.
The thread is closed