Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

What Rifle scope would you sugjest?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Gold Member

What Rifle scope would you sugjest?

Im getting closer to receiving my Custom Remington 700 .243 Ackley...........would appreciate any sugjestions for a Good Rifle scope....

Right now Im considering the Leupold V3 4.5x-14X Matt Duplex Its will be used mostly for Varmints like Marmonts and Jackrabbits.............but will also to used for Antelope and Mule Deer and who know's maybe an Elk in a pinch. Would the 6.5x-20x be any better??

I also need your imput and an understanding of AO on a rifle scope......is there a big importance to the AO as Leupold offers scopes with and with out them. What are the advantages and can you get by with out one............................Are they really necessary..?? Are they really important

Greg

Last edited by Greg Duerr; 06-03-2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: New thoughts
Old 06-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What Rifle scope would you sugjest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
Im getting closer to receiving my Custom Remington 700 .243 Ackley...........would appreciate any sugjestions for a Good Rifle scope....

Right now Im considering the Leupold V3 4.5x-14X Matt Duplex Its will be used mostly for Varmints like Marmonts and Jackrabbits.............but will also to used for Antelope and Mule Deer and who know's maybe an Elk in a pinch. Would the 6.5x-20x be any better??

I also need your imput and an understanding of AO on a rifle scope......is there a big importance to the AO as Leupold offers scopes with and with out them. What are the advantages and can you get by with out one............................Are they really necessary..?? Are they really important

Greg

First, the 4.5x14x50 is my favorite power range for hunting.(Low enough for running shots and high
enough for long shots. The 6.5 x 20 and higher are good for position shooting but to much for hunting
In my opinion.

Second the adjustable objective adjust the parallax out and the side focus does to but In my opinion
is easier to use and normally comes on 30mm tubes that have more elevation and windage.

If you buy an 8x or lower you normally don't need parallax adjustments. The 9+ power can use
the AO or SF feature.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-04-2011, 12:17 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with JE, but that caliber would be more of a varmint in my stable and I would lean toward a 20x, for speed goats and prairie muley, if more all around thenI would drop to 14x
Old 06-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Bronze Member

Greg,
Either scope you mentioned will do very well. If you plan on doing alot of long range shooting go with the 6.5x20. On the 6.5x20 if you do much close range shooting or predator calling you can turn down to 6.5 and be fine. Good luck.
John
Old 06-06-2011, 03:12 AM
Platinum Member

I have a few scopes that go up to 20-24X. I find that power really nice when developing loads, but when actually hunting; I find myself using something between 12 and 16 most of the time.

The exception is the really long shot when conditions are good for it. 20X can also sometimes double as a spotting scope if you don't have one with you. Downside is that they're usually longer heavier scopes than the ones that only go 14X.

Either way, I'd get the AO or SF, especially if it were for varmints.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member

I like the Greybull Precision Leupold and own two of them 4.5x14x greybullprecision.com
Old 06-06-2011, 09:23 PM

Leupold's are good scopes. I've owned several, but way over priced for what you get. You're paying for the name IMO.
Zeiss Conquest, Votex PST, Sightron SIII, Super Sniper, and Trijicon accu-points give you much more bang for the buck, if you want to drop a grand, give or take on optics.