Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

What reticle with turrets?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Silver Member

What reticle with turrets?

The guys with elevation/windage turrets, what kind of reticle do you guys prefer for long range hunting?

Old 11-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What reticle with turrets?

This is the one I have with a custom turret to match the cross hair. Click on the reticle and it will enlarge.

Vortex Optics - Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle

joseph
Old 11-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

so why have the compensation marks if you already have compensating turrets?
Old 11-30-2010, 11:25 PM
Silver Member

I use a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20 X 50 with the TMR reticle which is a mil based reticle. I have the m3 turrets. I would love for Leupold to offer a moa based reticle, but the TMR reticle is better than just a standard mil dot reticle. I basically dial elevation with the turrets and try to use the mil marks for windage.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSLRHunter View Post
I use a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20 X 50 with the TMR reticle which is a mil based reticle. I have the m3 turrets. I would love for Leupold to offer a moa based reticle, but the TMR reticle is better than just a standard mil dot reticle. I basically dial elevation with the turrets and try to use the mil marks for windage.
Do you hunt with this scope?
Old 12-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

I use an optic with a reticule like the Nightforce NP-R2 and it really has made aiming easier and more precise for me. While I rarely use hold overs I can if I want in MOA or I can hold wind. I usually dial both but it's nice to have options and I practice using hold overs. Being able to bracket game really helps me keep the cross hair in the hair also

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-03-2010, 01:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmagator View Post
so why have the compensation marks if you already have compensating turrets?
Well if your laser range finder stops working or it is snowing you can range your game (deer, elk or antelope) with the hash marks because you know the distance between them. From what I have read you can do this fairly accurately out to about 700 yds.

I shoot a 6mm Norma BR. with 105 gr. Berger VLDs. My zero is 200 yds. at 300 yds. it drops 8 1/5" and 21 1/5" at 400 yds. It drops like a rock, but with the custom turret all I need to know the distance then turn the turret to the yardage and shoot. I was able to do this and hit the gongs all the way out to 1,200 yards the very first time I tried to shoot at those distances. I have to qualify this by saying I did not hit the gongs every time because of the wind mostly. This custom turret is right on the money for elevation. I hold for the wind.

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph

PS: My rifle is extremely accurate by the way.