Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

What NF Reticle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 10:27 PM
Gold Member

What NF Reticle

I dont care to do a search but would like some opinion on my need for a scope. I am looking probably at a 5.5- 22 and not sure if i would do best with the np1 or 2. I am using it on white tail, mule deer, and elk. Im not in to over 1k yards and have a good rangefinder. not sure the moa difference in reticles. Thanks.
mike
Old 11-26-2009, 12:41 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What NF Reticle

I take it your referring to the NPR1 and NPR2 and not the NP1. If youíre going to hold over using the bars I think the NPR1 (1 MOA per bar) would be the better choice. If youíre going to dial everything then either would be good. If you donít like a busy reticle and comfortable with the bars being at 2 MOA intervals then the NPR2. The NPR2 would be a good choice if you dialed for elevation and just held off for wind it being a guess at best anyway.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 11-26-2009, 01:11 AM
Platinum Member

NPR1. You'll get past 1K soon enough.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 11-26-2009, 02:43 AM
Platinum Member

NightForce definition of the NP-R1

NP-R1: Field tactical, Varmint, Long-range hunting
This is an improved version of the NP-R2, providing the user with 1 MOA measurements on the elevation bar and 2 MOA measurements on the windage bar. This improved reticle design allows the shooter to range easily and accurately.

It's important to remember that for the NP-R2 the horizontal line is divided into equal 5 MOA increment for windage.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 11-26-2009, 08:21 AM
Gold Member

I was refering to the NP-R , sorry. I was mainly interested in dialing but the option of holdover i shouldnt overlook. Is the NP-R1 really that busy and hard to get used too? I just got back few weeks ago from Co. and i could see where being limited to dialing could hurt for not having enough time. the hold over would sure have its place at times. im currently shooting a lupy with b&c reticle and just need more options. Thanks everyone
mike
Old 11-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member

NPR1 and 2 are much more versatile reticles than the Leup B&C style holdover reticles, IMO. Most guys that purchase NF's here for LRH get the NPR1 or NPR2. Not too busy at all, especially if you understand them. They are not 'holdover' reticles per say, although could be used for that with in conjuction a program like exbal.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 11-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

I have thge NPR-2 reticle in my Nightforce scopes and prefer the NPR-2 over the NPR-1. IMHO they are too close and it makes for a very busy reticle. I acctualy prefer a Mil reticle with Mil Turrets and the Nightforce Mil reticle is one of my favorites. The Nightforce Mil reticle uses 1/4 Mil circles that you can see through makeing it a very user friendly reticle