Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

What kind of performance are you getting from your Swarovoski Range finder?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Silver Member

What kind of performance are you getting from your Swarovoski Range finder?

I currently have a Bushnell 1500 w/Arc range finder,and I am pretty happy with it.I am intrested in upgrading to a Swarovoski though.I would like to hear from some people that have them what kind of performance they are getting with them.With my bushnell,I can range a large tree from 800 yds.,I have ranged houses from 1200 -1300yds.I am guessing I could range a deer from 600 yds.The reason I am considering upgrading,is because I want to do some long range varmint hunting,I would like to be able to range groundhogs from 600-700 yds or more.Would that be realistic with a Swarovoski?
Old 12-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: What kind of performance are you getting from your Swarovoski Range finder?

I'm not sure that a different rangefinder will help with that, esp. since the Swarovski's aiming circle is larger than, say, a Leica's. You'd probably have to still aim at something larger nearby or mount the rangefinder on a tripod.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:42 PM
Silver Member

Are there any rangefinders that are better suited for smaller targets than others?
Old 12-21-2008, 11:55 PM
Bronze Member

I took a Swaro to NZ earlier this year and initially had reservations about the size of the aiming circle however I discovered that I could easily range rabbits at up to 1100 yds.
One main advantage is the quality of the optics themselves.
Late evening I ranged a ridge above the house where we were staying at 1842;1843 and 1842 yds on three subsequent attempts.
It is an outstanding bit of kit and delivers beyond the claims of the manufacturer unlike many many of the competitors which cannot match the marketing claims!
APB
Old 12-22-2008, 12:09 AM
Gold Member

last year I bought the leupy rxb-IV ranfinder/bino. I couldnt get it to read a huge sign on a hillside that i knew was approx 1000 yards away. I was very dissapointed as they claim its capable of 1500 yds on reflective targets. anyway, based on shawn carlocks recomendation, I then bought the swaro and couldnt be happier. i carried it with me elk hunting last year and it consistently measured all the way out to 1800 yards plus. the farthest reading i got was on a treeline at 1905 yards. not sure if it will go beyond that as i havent tried, but who cares at that point. I have not tried to range anything small like groundhogs, but would be surprised if it didnt work you. its some of the best money i have spent, like Aussie powder said the thing outperforms the companies claim and you sure dont find that very often. good luck
Old 12-22-2008, 02:21 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiglas View Post
last year I bought the leupy rxb-IV ranfinder/bino. I couldnt get it to read a huge sign on a hillside that i knew was approx 1000 yards away. I was very dissapointed as they claim its capable of 1500 yds on reflective targets. anyway, based on shawn carlocks recomendation, I then bought the swaro and couldnt be happier. i carried it with me elk hunting last year and it consistently measured all the way out to 1800 yards plus. the farthest reading i got was on a treeline at 1905 yards. not sure if it will go beyond that as i havent tried, but who cares at that point. I have not tried to range anything small like groundhogs, but would be surprised if it didnt work you. its some of the best money i have spent, like Aussie powder said the thing outperforms the companies claim and you sure dont find that very often. good luck

How far does it read on deer/elk?
Old 12-22-2008, 03:30 PM
Gold Member

I have always been able to range the hillside the animal was on. its generally very steep where i hunt so i have not had to range just an animal on flat ground for example, but rather the clearing that the animal is in. i do put it on the animal of course but dont worry to much if its ranging the animal or within 10 feet of it. sorry i cant help with that one.