Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

What to do, what to do...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Silver Member

What to do, what to do...

So after watching my scope woes during a tough cow hunt last week, yes we were successful, the wife OK'd me to start getting outfitted. She just didn't understand the need of good optics before, but now she does. So, I have been looking far and wide for the options I want, in my price range, but can't find it.

So, what I really want is something like a Vortex HS for the covered windage knob FFP in roughly 6-24 (at least 20), with 1/4minute or .1mil clicks and an illuminated EBR-2b (preferred) or XLR reticle for the tree, with a zero stop.

That's what I want but can't find anything like it from anyone in my price range. A buddy turned me on to what I thought was an awesome scope for my needs in the Bushnell HDMR. It's 3.5-21x50, FFP, 2" shorter than the PST but heavier and has 34mm tube, decent glass, either the H59 or TRMR reticle. All great, but no illumination or zero stop. In fact, the exact same scope, but with the G2 reticle and zero stop adds over 400$ to the price, and the Vortex Razor is just too far out of my price range.

I'm probably going to be forced to buy a PST because it's as close as I can get with the reticle being the only major thing lacking.

SO, if anyone knows of something that might fulfill my needs (wants) around a grand, please let me know!
Old 10-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Silver Member

Re: What to do, what to do...

I never understood the illuminated reticle? I bought one 5-6 years ago and used it once in SE Alaska and found that in good light you don't need it, and in low light it actually takes away from the image and makes it harder to see. It now sits on a shelf unused. The only time I think it might help is during a full moon on low, which isn't legal to hunt anyhow in most places.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Silver Member

I don't exactly follow. Good optics usually come w/ a price tag. Sounds like you are more enamoured w/ the features than the glass. Is there any reason you prefer the 20x? Is this a prairie dog gun that you some times shoot elk with?

Lighted sights do drown out your target and are only good if you can dim the lighting down as they are usually over powered.

Most bang for your buck, start w/ sightron sii big sky and up. If those and vortex are out of your budget I'd suggest rethinking the budget.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Silver Member

Really??? Thanks for the help; good hunting.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

How about this. . .

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...br-1-a-123815/
Old 11-02-2013, 11:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Holy smoking deal Batman! I reallly want my next purchase to be a FFP, but I will be looking for good deals like that afterwards. Thanks Roy.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Silver Member

Wound up buying a Vortex Razor with the EBR-2B reticle in MOA. Good stuff other than the massive weight...