Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

What defines 'Sight Height'?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What defines 'Sight Height'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lever-hed View Post
Splitting hairs – lay rifle on its side, eyeball with a tape.

Kind of a supersilious anality of an operation you ask me.. plug in 1.5 inches into the balistic calculator and draw your dope out to 1000, then plug in 1.6 , 1.7, 1.8 etc and see the differences, is it really that much? Your going to proof your dope card in the field anyway right? So any discrepancy on the sight height is going to be more then outshined by the results of firing in the field.. just my 2 cent
…. to each their own…
It is a bit anal, but it's easy to do. My LR rig measures 2.23" and the difference between that and 1.5" is nearly 1moa at 1000yds. So it does make a difference and it takes all of 1 minute to remedy.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives

Last edited by AJ Peacock; 07-28-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Silver Member

AJ, of course there is a difference between 1.5 and 2.23, Iím talking about variances of .1, .2, or .3 inch measurements... .

After rereading your post, I think you misread me and we are basically saying the same thing .
My only argument was that it doesnít have to be too exact, and if your off by .1 or .2 inches from what it really is, it wonít be the end of the world.

..but your wrong!!, just kidding..

Good luck
Old 07-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Lever-hed, yes, we are saying the same thing. I just open the bolt and measure from about the center of the bolt to about the center of the ocular lens. I use the handiest measurement instrument I have at hand (usually a pair of calipers).

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

And when you dial in or hold off, the relative centerline(crosshair) changes some microbial amount.
Well,,, it's just a wonder we hit anything out there!
Old 07-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

For me I know my sight is 1.97 in. above the bore and when something goes weird I have a shorter list of things to look at.
I don't want to tweak my ballistics software to make a hit, I want to input facts and get accurate come-ups and windage that I am not questioning in my mind. Anal? Yes, but it is the only way I can function and it is getting worse as I get older not a good sign for my poor wife.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Bronze Member

This thread is a bit old but there seems to be a lot of mystery around this measurement.

Here's the theory - what I call the Sight Height Rule:
With respect to ballistic software, the effective distance between the LOS (Line of Sight) and the LOF (Line of Fire) should be measured at a point where the measured muzzle velocity is valid.
This is normally the "0" yard point with respect to your external ballistics software - this is an arbitrary datum point most folks assign to the end of the barrel. However muzzle velocity is measured at some distance away from the barrel and must therefore be corrected back to the muzzle. The problem with this method is that the pivot point for the LOS is located near the center of the scope, far behind the muzzle. So the LOS-LOF distance increases or decreases as you dial in more (or less) height on the scope. But since we sight in at 100 yards, and today's ballistic software doesn't account for more than a single scope height value we're stuck again.

Now for the practical:
Best to measure the sight height at the center of the scope (LOS pivot point), and correct muzzle velocity back to that point - done.
This is the simplest and most correct way I know of to get the right values for your charts.

Jay

Last edited by Jay Kyle; 08-17-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

Ya'll can't be talking like this...CONGRESS will be wanten to take your scopes away and Make you go back to open sights. I like the spacer idea myself. Thats real simple. I wonder if their are any plans for KLUNKER scope trade in's. Bill Maylor