Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

What brand of scope do you prefer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What brand of scope do you prefer

Sightron SIII as my rifles are back packing rifles and the weight of the scope is a primary factor in what I'll mount on my rifles. No disappointments yet with the three I own and use.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Silver Member

I have been behind various brands of scopes. The brands I now use are Leupold, Sightron, and Nightforce. All three have performed well with few problems. If asked to choose one scope (of those I can justify to myself purchasing due to cost) I would take Nightforce without question.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:29 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl licht View Post
Might need to take up a collection for those that list food as their favorite scope. Everything you do in this life is a decision. I choose to run a nice scope. Some have big houses some have nice cars and some have 20 kids, I choose high end optics. I suggest if your running on the fiscal edge to the the point food is a factor in your purchase decisions you might abstain from discretionary spending...and save some money. Now lets all have a pity party for our friend here and pass the hat around.
That was COMPLETELY uncalled for and has no place in a civil discussion. The member you are referring to did nothing but state a different set of priorities that governs his choice of optics. Neither he, nor anyone else here, deserves to be treated in that manner. If you have come here to impress people with your discriminating taste, fat wallet, or any other form of d!*k measuring, I suggest you go somewhere else.

OR you can learn to engage your brain before running off at the keyboard. That way, it will be possible for you to be capable of having a civilized conversation. You have nice taste in optics, but very poor judgement. If comments like these are an indication of the kind of man you are, I suggest you take the money you are spending on expensive optics and send yourself to Charm School.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:02 AM
Bronze Member

Where's your tip bucket...that's the trouble with America everybody wants to to feel good and nobody wants the truth. Once again, and ill say it slow so everyone can understand!!!! If you have to make the decision between buying a scope and buying food, please please please buy the food. Or if you need to choose between health care and a scope please choose your health. I'm sorry there are Americans that have to choose between scopes and food but that's one of the facts of living in a democracy not everyone will end up wealthy ( which I'm not ) but everyone has the right to try. Now where do I send my 5 bucks...you gotta love a well run pity party.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
im on a fixed income so i buy what i can afford. Mostly leupold and nikon. I have no doubt those 2k scopes are great but theres food to buy too.
Thats me too. Priorities. Must have food and roof. Car is optional, at least a lugsyourass car. I'll stick with Vortex Vipers and the comment about 'value priced Vortex scopes' made by whatadidity in Japan, no issue there so long as whatadidity does a good job.

My income is fixed by retirement and Social Security.

Problem is, across the board, there is one hell of a markup on optics and I don't care who the manufacturer is. Production cost versus retail cost is somewhere around 150-200 percent.

I'd run Tasco's if they stayed together.....
Old 09-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Gold Member

since i was the one who made the food comment ill jump back in here. Like i said i buy mostly leupolds and nikons and not there entry level stuff either. You can say what you want but i shoot ALOT of deer every year and do it routinely out to 500 yards. Now when shooting crop damage deer we seldom stay for low light time as we can just come back tommarow but in my opinion if you cant hit a deer out to 500 yards using a leupold vx2 or a nikon monarch is sure not the scopes fault. Yes in a perfect world all my scopes would say lecia, nightforce ect. But is sure dont feel handicapped with a leupold. I probalbly sink more money then most here into guns and reloading and shooting. But i still have to watch the where i spend it now that im retired as the mad money account isnt near what it once was. Ive got near 50 bolt and single shot rifles and buying nightforces for all of them would probably cost as much as my house did. If you can afford it more power to you. But id bet most here cant. NO i dont have to worry about where my next meal comes from. But yes I can find better places to spent 2-3k then on a scope that does little more for me then a 500 dollar one does. I dont go and put 1000 dollar speed rated tires on my buick verono either. They might be better tires but i dont need them.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl licht View Post
Where's your tip bucket...that's the trouble with America everybody wants to to feel good and nobody wants the truth. Once again, and ill say it slow so everyone can understand!!!! If you have to make the decision between buying a scope and buying food, please please please buy the food. Or if you need to choose between health care and a scope please choose your health. I'm sorry there are Americans that have to choose between scopes and food but that's one of the facts of living in a democracy not everyone will end up wealthy ( which I'm not ) but everyone has the right to try. Now where do I send my 5 bucks...you gotta love a well run pity party.
Realization is, a good part of the replies on this forum are based on fantasy and not reality. After a while (on here), you'll be able to differentiate between fact and fiction. Comes with time on forum and knowing who posts from experience and actual ownership and who posts window shopping experience.......