Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

What Binos for long range hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2001, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What Binos for long range hunting?

We use two 60MM Spacemasters or two Kowa 77mm or 82mm spotters in an adjustable bracket for the ease of use and eye strain. They are for tripod use.

We also use the large Military field and ship glasses when we find good ones. My wife likes the 10X 80MM German Flak glasses and I like the 100MM German or Jap Military units of around 20X.

The old Bousch and Lomb Balscopes in a bracket makes a fine outfit also.

Over the years I have put together at least 40 sets of the Bushnell 60 MM Spacemasters and Balscopes for hunters and shooters.

Since most of our longrange shooting is normally much further then 1000 yards, we opt for a stationary set up and the use of tripods and large objective lenses units.

Just for added information.
Darryl Cassel

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Len Backus ]
Old 11-30-2001, 12:10 AM

Now that is long range binocular. Great job I love it.
Old 12-31-2001, 01:16 PM
Silver Member

Shaky, the scope might be fine to locate a deer after seeing what looks like an animal with your bare eyes. But using just one eye (presuming you have a good pair) WILL tire your vision more than using binoculars.

And it is patently unsafe to glass using your riflescope when mounted on your rifle. Your muzzle is not pointed in a safe direction if you are glassing with a riflescope, blaze orange being the law or not.

Even for short range observation, it makes a LOT of sense to have binoculars, because of their greater field of view, smaller eyestrain, and safety.

Another brand of long range binos that merits some serious consideration is Fujinon. Heck, some of their big glasses were used to discover a new comet! God knows they'd be adequate for land creatures. The tradeoff is always cost/quality, and weight.

Any 'long range' hunters who don't use binos for glassing are shortsighted, stubborn, unsafe, or just plain cheap. Your fellow shooters and outdoor enthusiasts deserve top consideration.

Nate,

Please tone down your posts a little. Your last paragraph is not very respectful or productive. We are doing quite well on this forum so far without having members make personal attacks.

Otherwise, welcome.

Len Backus
Administrator

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: Len Backus ]
Old 02-08-2002, 02:14 PM

For the price, you can't beat the Kahles
10 X 42. We compared the Swarovski 10 X 42 and can not tell any difference, except of course the 350.00 price tag. They are hard to beat.