Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

What Binos for long range hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2001, 07:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: What Binos for long range hunting?

Don-

What if a non-hunter is out strolling with his dog? He's not required to wear orange. Are you still comfortable with "scoping" him?
Old 08-29-2001, 07:13 PM

Gary,

I can tell the difference between somebody walking their dog and a deer.

As I already said: When I see a "deer" (Keyword is "Deer") I then look at the "Deer" through my scope - which is mounted on my rifle.

Clear enough? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Don [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2001, 05:06 PM

For long range hunting in my neck of the woods I carry several sizes of binoculars I carry Leica 10x42 I consider them mid-range binoculars I also pack around a set of 15x60 Docter Optic binoculars on a tripod and these I would consider longrange binoculars I also pack around a spotting scope. I use the Docters the most I love the Swarovski 15x56 they are sweet and my next purchase.
There are a lot of people that do not hunt the same. The use of optics while hunting not only will make hunters better they allow them to take larger animals consistantly.
I would not think of going hunting without binoculars they are so important in the style of hunting that I do. I would advise shaky to try hunting with someone with the right knowledge about optics and how to use them this should be a great help for you and taking game in the future and safty to the other hunters in the area.
Old 11-07-2001, 09:44 PM

For general glassing I use a pair of 7X40 IOR Vak=ldada. They are heavy but are optically good for the money compare them to Leica or Zeiss because they are sold with a 30 day guarantee by some vendors so you can compare. For spotting sheep we use a pair of 20X80 Steiner Military Marines on a tripod. I have being shipped a pair of Swedish Nife 8x50/140 WWII binoculars that have a built in rangefinder and I'll report how they worked later. Another excellent choice are WWII German Flak Binoculars and they are 10X80 and will out perform most 20X binoculars due to their high resolution or they were underrated and can be found at gun shows at the 200-300 dollar range. here are a lot of choices and prices out there but some of the older military stuff from Germany can offer a lot of value.
Old 11-26-2001, 11:14 PM

yotebate,
I use a pair of Swarovski 10X42 mounted on a tripod with a Leica spotting scope. I have them both pointed at the same spot. I locate with the binoculars and identify with the scope. After I have glassed everything within a couple of miles, I will glass distant objects with my scope. Good Luck, Ken
Old 11-27-2001, 01:56 PM
Bronze Member

I have a pair of Pentax 10-42 dcfs. They are a roof prism type and I like them very much. On a recent hunt in SD this summer I had a chance to compare them to a pair of Lecia's The only slight differnce I could see was in the very edge of the glass seemed to be clearer in the Lecia's. I was told that I would have alot of eye fatigue from my " cheap " pentaxs. None at all on either types.
I also don't look at things on the edge of my sight I center the object.
I dropped mine out of a tree and Pentax re-aligned the lens for free I had them back in less thatn 2 weeks total time. Nice glass for the money. I would like a pair of BIG
EYES mounted on a tripod some day.
Old 11-27-2001, 04:40 PM
PUBLISHER

Spotter

Can you describe your tripod setup or better yet email me a picture and I will post it.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors