Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

What Binos for long range hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2001, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What Binos for long range hunting?

TonyY

Welcome to Long Range Hunting, good to see you over here.

/r

Dave "Doc" King
Old 06-14-2001, 11:21 PM

I have a pair of Ziess 10x42s that have worked well for years in low light and adverse weather conditions. 10x seems to be a good all around power. For day light I use a smaller compact 8x20 pair of lieca's. These work out well if you will be backpacking or hiking to higher ground and weight and size are factors. Once game is spotting the spotting scope comes out to determine if the quarry is worth the stalk. This worked well for me when I hunted Alaska and the days were long and a lot of high terrain had to be climbed daily. With optics get the best you can afford you won't be dissappointed.
Old 07-06-2001, 08:29 PM
Bronze Member

How do the space masters stack up for quality to the Kowa? Which one is better at fighting through mirage? What does one of these units weigh? I have been thinking of such a set up for quite sometime. Right now I am making due with a pair of Nikon 10-22 scoutmaster binos on a tripod. Not great quality, Bak4 prisms, but they have good magnification and I can crank them down if the mirage gets too bad. I am very interested in the big eye setus though. Will I notice a big difference from the Nikons, if I go with the spacemasters?
Thanks,
Vince Foster
Old 08-03-2001, 10:13 PM

I don't use binos for hunting. When I see a deer I get the gun on it and look thru the scope. I can't kill a deer with binocs. My long range scope (for deer hunting) has a max power setting of 16X, that would be a heck of a pair of binocs.

Don [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2001, 05:39 PM
Silver Member

"I don't use binos for hunting. When I see a deer I get the gun on it and look thru the scope..."

Shaky-

I too hunt the NW PA woods. If you truly do hunt long range, and the first thing you put on a "deer" is a scope with a rifle below it, well, I'll just say, hope it ain't me you end up looking at.
Old 08-13-2001, 08:30 PM
Gold Member

'yote Bate...

I've owned a bunch of bins... and my preferences are now a small pair of "quality" 8 or 9 power with smallish objectives - maybe 30 or 35 mm... and for the really long stuff, I first tried a pair of 20x80 Celestrons, and they were OK, but heavy... went to 15x80 Steiners (with built in compass), and I love them. They are sharper than the Celestrons, and about 1/3rd the weight.

'lito

LRH member #23
Old 08-22-2001, 01:01 PM

Gary,

When you are deer hunting in PA hopefully you are hunting in a legal manner. By this I mean you are wearing the required amount of "blaze orange" about your head, back and chest.

If you are wearing at least the minimum amount of "blaze orange" required by the law in PA then I can see that you are not a deer. The reason for wearing the orange is that you are visable a long ways off to other hunters.
Therefor I would never point my rifle at you or any other hunter in PA.

I will change tactics when deer start wearing blaze orange but until that happens I will look at the deer with my scope not binocs.

Don [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]