Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Gold Member

Re: What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?

We will wait for your review...
Old 03-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozo699 View Post
I just purchased a S&B 5-25x56 pmII w/p4f I will let you know in a few days on my opinion.Anyways I thank all of you for your valuable input on my quest for a new scope.I certianly hope my next thread is as interesting as this one has been,again much thanks.
Wayne.
If it doesn't work out for you I'll give you $500 bucks for it......Rich
Old 03-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
If it doesn't work out for you I'll give you $500 bucks for it......Rich
I'll make it $600
Old 03-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Silver Member

guys as I have browsed through here I really havent seen much on the Ziess optics... I am rather amazed by this. I LOVED my Ziess diavari 6x24x56! It was super clear. Unforturnately I haven't had the chance to look through in NF optics, or any of the others than a couple leoupolds.

I compared a ziess to a swarovski a couple years later... don't remember which ones they were right now, they were both around $1600 but the ziess seemed to be a good bit clearer
McSwirly A-5
Jewel trigger
Old 03-06-2010, 08:01 PM

Like all things , picking a scope is a compromise , you need to pick the model that comes closet to want you want in a scope , and how you will use it .

For me , I like to keep things as simple and error proof as I can , so for Tac & field shooting , I tend to favour Mil/Mil FFP scopes in the 3-15 0r 4-16x range with 50mm Objectives , so I donot stuff up the Elevation setting , I like single turn or double turn indicated , also I like a lot of elevation per turn , so other than the new NXS turrets ie 20moa & 10mil , that really only leaves the S&B PMII and the Premiers .

The Hensoldt does not have a zero stop turret or a turn indicator , maybe they will in the future .

USO are not in the same league as S&B or Premier , simply look at what shooters are actually using in the tac shoots , I find they are not as well made or have glass that is as good as the other top 2 , eye relief is also very very short around 2 inches .

I have used MK4s , USO SN3s , Premier & S&Bs , I have not used any NXS as they in my view did not have large enough range of adjustment in one turn as I wanted .

The scope I use the most & am most impressed with is the 4-16x50mm PMII , Mil/Mil , single turn with P4F reticle , quite simply this thing rocks .

The glass is not quite as good as the hensoldt , but as I said , you are picking a scope that has the best features overall , so on balance for me thats the PMII at the moment .

Later Chris

Last edited by ChrisF; 03-07-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Silver Member

A point worth considering is the use and distance you are shooting at. I use a 42X for bench rest, a Leupold B+C for my quick mount 30-378 wby, a S&B x25 PMII for 1000yd and a NF 22 /32 for 1 mile. The S&B has best object and low light function and is great on the first turn. My only complaint is when you dial it up with a second turn, the markings are much more difficult to judge, and that is when you need the most accurate markings. Hence one may be off by 1/4 MOA and at 1 mile on the yellow markings this may result in a miss. Maybe somebody has a solutions to this?
Old 03-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozo699 View Post
I am looking to buy a new scope for my new custom .264 win mag.I want the best money can buy period! I was thinking S&B or a premier? I would like somewhere in the neighborhood of a 5.5 or 6-25 for power. money is no object to a point $4000 or less,but if there is a scope out there just as good without the fancy name for less$ well ok but quailty is my main concern.100yds to 1200 yds and back to EXACT ZERO everytime!!! any suguestions from you big dogs out there would be great.

S&B IMHO the PMll 5X25X56 is the best scope opticaly that I have ever used and the adjustments are precise and constantly repeatable. The NSX is repatable and reliable, just a notch behind S&B opticaly

Last edited by jwp475; 03-07-2010 at 09:57 PM.