Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozo699 View Post
.All the fancey scope is for is so I know what the rifle is truly capeable of, after all that if I miss Only I will be to blame not the gun.
Again many thanks.
Hensoldt - steel turrets and scope tube, Zeiss glass; there is no better. The only drawback is the weight. But you have to expect that with the steel tube. Hensoldt was constructed for military use.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:43 AM
Bronze Member

"The optics are protected by an extremely robust aluminum housing."

Hensoldt riflescopes brochure

Doesn't make them any worse though, quite the contrary in fact.

As for the best period, no such thing. Depends too much on your needs.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:17 PM

I saw this thread and couldn't resist. This is my first post as I am a new member. I joined because I to am in the market for a new long range capable scope. I am retiring my trusty Burris x6 that has been to hell and back over 17 years and has helped me kill a dozen elk. I don't even hesitate to take a 400 yard shot with my 7mm rem mag browning A-bolt with a sizzling 3400/sec 139 grain Nozzler. The scope and gun have NEVER failed to hold its zero even after countless crashes, falls and wet conditions. But my buddies are building a long range target course out to 1500 yards. So it's time to upgrade. I digress, this is about scopes. My life revolves around optics, not the rifle scope kind, but microscopes. Because of my exposure to the very best microscopes ever made down to classroom grade I can give some very good advise when it comes to optics. All optics have their own individual personality. Lay down 10 identical scopes of a certain brand and model and you will see differences in individual scopes. Trust me, I have seen this in all optics at any price, less so in the good stuff, but it's even more apparent in cheaper optics. In the few rifle scopes I have checked, a discerning eye will notice this to. Also a scope needs to fit the individual, it is a very personal thing (especially for the kinda money we are talking about). Even if the scope doesn't quite have the very best optics, if you fall in love with the scope you will probably shoot better. Because good shooting is about confidence over doubt. A bad day of shooting happens when your doubt overrides your confidence and vise versa. So look through as many scopes as you can get your hands on. Look through them after sunset and at noon, in cloudy weather, rainy weather, in moon light and I guarantee you will eventually find a scope that you flip over.

Personally I am looking at the Zeiss conquest 4.5x14 50mm ( very good comfortable optics for the money). S&B's that I have looked through are wonderful- the longer I looked through them the better I liked them. Of course there are the German optics which in my opinion are usually the best but not always the most comfortable to the eye, but sharp, sharp sharp. I may end up with a Nightforce as I am hell on wheels went it comes to rough hunting. I would dearly love to compare a Premier Heritage to all the above.

good luck and happy glassing

Klee
Old 02-24-2010, 07:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRu View Post
"The optics are protected by an extremely robust aluminum housing."

Hensoldt riflescopes brochure

Doesn't make them any worse though, quite the contrary in fact.

As for the best period, no such thing. Depends too much on your needs.
I'm searching for the steel tube reference. When I find it I'll post it along with calling Hensoldt tomorrow. The Zeiss V/VM 6-24x72 weighs 1/3 what the Hensoldt 6-24x72 weighs despite the two having identical exterior dimensions. That must be some THICK aluminum.

As for the best, of course there's such a thing, and you mentioned part of what makes up "the best." Your needs; there is a best for a given set of needs.

Last edited by Magnumdude; 02-24-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klee View Post
I would dearly love to compare a Premier Heritage to all the above.

good luck and happy glassing

Klee
It compares very favorably optically to any scope out there. It's better than 98% of them and as good as the other 2%...optically.

Last edited by Magnumdude; 02-24-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Silver Member

[QUOTE=klee;366360]I saw this thread and couldn't resist. This is my first post as I am a new member.

Welcome to the board. Please feel free to chime in any time . The worst that can happen is a visit to your home...I appreciate your input 30-338
και ο μη εχων πωλησατω το ιματιον αυτου και αγορασατω μαχαιραν... Luke 22:36
Jesus said "...and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one" Luke 22:36

Jack Webb lectures the Prez http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4r6YCUtxfs

How to pray for the man in the White House
Psalm 109:5 http://bible.cc/psalms/109-8.htm
Old 02-25-2010, 12:54 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
The Zeiss V/VM 6-24x72 weighs 1/3 what the Hensoldt 6-24x72 weighs despite the two having identical exterior dimensions.
According to specs, the Zeiss Diavari 6-24x72 weighs 37.4 oz. Also according to specs, the Hensoldt 6-24x72 weighs 38.8 oz. Having handled and shot with the Hensoldt 6-24x72, I have no reason to believe for these figures to be inaccurate.

Zeiss Victory Diavari 6-24x27 online spec sheet

Hensoldt 6-24x56 & 6-24x72 brochure