Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 11:40 PM
Bronze Member

Re: What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?

I will say I was suprised he (zac smith) didn't try a Hensholdt a March or a IOR.I have never seen any of them but after Three nights and days on internet studying optics they look very high end.To the night force fans,GREAT scopes Built not more than 60 miles from where I live, Orofino Idaho.And I am a proud owner of a A R 50 with a 5.5-22x56 night force and LOVE IT,not for this project.But maybe if .264 shoots as planed I may put a 3.5 -15 nsx on it.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Silver Member

i have mark4s, nightforce,uso and S&Bs. i have used all of these and there is no doubt that S&B has the best glass. thats if money is no object. if you are looking for a great scope for the money buy a nightforce. if you want the best that ive ever seen its schmit and bender i actually bought 2 this week because they are that good.

good luck
Old 02-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

I will pass on some words of wisdom from a mentor who is to say the least a accomplished bench rest shooter. We were looking at a rifle my gunsmith built me and he commented on the barrel fluting. I asked if he has any fluted barrels, he replied no. If you don't have weight issues why the extra cost? he said. "Does it make you shoot any better?"

He runs NF as I do. Just because you can afford it doesn't mean you need it. Words I live by.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 02-20-2010, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member

I had a nightforce nxs 5.5-22x56 and I don't think it can be beat (for the $$$) The only thing I didn't care for was only 10moa/revolution......Rich
Old 02-20-2010, 07:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipelt View Post
I will pass on some words of wisdom from a mentor who is to say the least a accomplished bench rest shooter. We were looking at a rifle my gunsmith built me and he commented on the barrel fluting. I asked if he has any fluted barrels, he replied no. If you don't have weight issues why the extra cost? he said. "Does it make you shoot any better?"

He runs NF as I do. Just because you can afford it doesn't mean you need it. Words I live by.

Brent
brent
im not trying to start a ******* match here but if your asking will a better scope help you shoot better id say YES. a fluting job wont for the most part change the accuracy of a gun but a scope that allows you to see the target clearer and on worse conditions in my opinion is a better scope.

other words to live by- You get what you pay for.

fellas im not trying to bash nightforce as i have 5 of them. this post is about which scope is the best on the market. i personally run Nightforce on my f class and multiple hunting rifles. when we all buy things we ask our selves quality, service and price. no one here has gottan the best quality with the best sevice for the lowest price. we have to give one of them up. so IMO the nightfore is good quality, good service for a good price. that being said the s&B in my opinion is the highest quality, highest service for the worst price its a trade off.

as for all of you guys that are thinking S&B are so much compare them to nightforce. if you take a F1 3.5x15x50 mil/mil zero stop and first focal priced at 2290. then take a S&B 4-16x50pmII laoded with mil/mil , zerostop and first focal priced at 2450(bought a brand new one last week for 2450). thats not even 200 bucks so yes schmitt and bender scopes are worth the money. If you havent looked through one you might want to.

Last edited by tjonh2001; 02-20-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Bronze Member

Zak has an article on the hensoldt, posted after he wrote the review. He liked it too .
One question, since we're talking $4k scopes, why not the Zeiss diarange? A lot of the advantages of the first focal plane scopes disappear if you have the exact range at the press of a button.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

tjonh2001 you won't start a ******* match with me. My point is if you can't tell the difference is it really worth it? Can I tell the difference between a US optics, SB and NF. No I can't that is why I stick with NF. If I thought a better scope would increase my shooting trust me I would already have them. Everybodies eyes react differently to the magnification, lens correction and coatings.

Here is how I look at it. I can spend $500 for something that will serve me well or spend $1500 for something that I will more than likely use only 50% of its ability. I my mind the extra $1000 is wasted. The key is to get something you won't have to get rid of in the future.

As far as the fluting goes I was trying to make a statement on how my mentor thinks. You look at his rifles he sets the world records with they are pretty basic setups. No extras just what he needs.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran

Last edited by blipelt; 02-20-2010 at 10:29 PM. Reason: spelling