Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Silver Member

Re: What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?

+1 for Nightforce. The repeatability factor and durability are exceptional. I think you can find slightly better glass, but not that much better, and you really have to pay for it. I found out a while ago with just about everything, when you move up toward the "Ideal"100% , going from , say . 93% to 96% is quite costly....good luck...this is a nice problem to have! 30-338 PS I, too , love Holland's reticle!
και ο μη εχων πωλησατω το ιματιον αυτου και αγορασατω μαχαιραν... Luke 22:36
Jesus said "...and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one" Luke 22:36

Jack Webb lectures the Prez http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4r6YCUtxfs

How to pray for the man in the White House
Psalm 109:5 http://bible.cc/psalms/109-8.htm

Old 02-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

How many brands of scopes can you shoot a bullet through that will keep working? For a rugged, dendable hunting scope, how can you improve on over a Nightforce? There may be some with a little better glass, but NF glass is more than enough for 2K hunting and I can see very well through mine well past legal shooting hours. Will a S&B or Zeiss hold to up to the same amount of torture a NF will? It would be interesting to find out.

-Mark
Old 02-19-2010, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

I have 5 S&B PMII's several Zeniths, several VMV Series, few Swaro's and 6 USO's. Now that USO is building a more streamlined version in the SN 3 with a 30mm tube( I got Arnold to build the first one a few years ago and it is very popular now(he is building one for me now .17 MOAŚlong story there and will be the last .17 MOA) and is what I use on all of my new builds. Tough as nails, repeatable absolute click values and glass on par with S&B PMII and guaranteed for life period.

March is a new line with respect to hunting rifle type scopes as of 2009 that will bear looking into but for my money the USO is the choice when it is said and done.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
I have 5 S&B PMII's several Zeniths, several VMV Series, few Swaro's and 6 USO's. Now that USO is building a more streamlined version in the SN 3 with a 30mm tube( I got Arnold to build the first one a few years ago and it is very popular now(he is building one for me now .17 MOAŚlong story there and will be the last .17 MOA) and is what I use on all of my new builds. Tough as nails, repeatable absolute click values and glass on par with S&B PMII and guaranteed for life period.

March is a new line with respect to hunting rifle type scopes as of 2009 that will bear looking into but for my money the USO is the choice when it is said and done.
Oh use NF on my 1K BR rifles because of the weight issue otherwise they would be USO as well.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Bronze Member

Hensoldt would likely warrant a mention of best scope with no budget to have to worry about.
Other than that, S&B.

Luckey!!!!!

Last edited by jeffersonv; 02-19-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Silver Member

+ 1 300R Before you choose I would look through as many as you can to see which one is best for you because no two guns will always shoot the same as will no two sets of eyes always see the same.
If you are lucky enough to find a high end optics store close by you could do some comparing for yourself
Old 02-19-2010, 11:14 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks guys
Everyone of your posts were very helpfull and I apreciate them all.Mapsjamhere was the most help with Zac smiths artical on long range scopes I have saved it and will send it to all my shooting friends.The only scope he tested that I personaly wouldn't consider for this particular project
(although it is a great scope for general shooting ) The Mark four.Now I own more than 40 leopolds and I like them very much so I am not picking on leopolds!I build several shoot sticks per year and I want the best so I can see What there true potential is. Then more than likely they will get a swarovski or leopold as I can't afford 100 or so S&Bs.
Thanks all,Wayne.