Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Bronze Member

Re: What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl licht View Post
I have just purchased a s & b 5 x 25 pll scope and the optics are incredible. It is going on one of my favorite weapon systems of all time a bolt action heavy barrel in .308. I am in a bit of a dilemma however as I'm not sure how to sight the beast in. The double turn turrets are getting the best of me. It seems as if a 20 min base is a necessity not an option. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

it depends on your set up, to get your full amount of adjustment you have to have a base with some cant built into it, however, with 118 moa of adjustment in that scope, you don't have to have it, and can shoot a pretty long way. give me a shout if i can help you, as i've zeroed a ton of these things, in both mtc and standard turret configuration
Old 11-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

I am no big dog but I have a big dog scope 5.5 22x56 NF
Old 11-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Bronze Member

Bozo,

Weren't you there at deep creek the day we compared the s&b 12-50 to my 12-42 nf? If you weren't you should have been, it was a real embarrassment for "the best".

Tom
Old 11-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom m. View Post
Bozo,

Weren't you there at deep creek the day we compared the s&b 12-50 to my 12-42 nf? If you weren't you should have been, it was a real embarrassment for "the best".

Tom
Tom,
No I wasn't but you and Leo told me about it when I mentioned I was going to buy the big S&B scope. I am very happy I listened to you as I now have two of the 12-42 NF on my BR rifles, my 5.5-25 S&B is as nice of scope as I have ever owned and for a hunting scope I really like it, but for my BR guns I will stick with the Night Force scopes for sure! S&B should be ashamed of there big BR scope it is no where near the quality of the nf for almost twice the price. Thanks Tom.
Wayne.

Daryl,
There is plenty of adjustment in your scope with or without a 20 moa rail. I have a 20 moa rail under my S&B but you don't need it unless your going really long. To get the adjustment out of it and your probably having trouble getting it low enough turn it all the way cc then loosen the set screws turn it cw som, then lock it down and continue cc keep repeating if necessary to get it on target, hope this helps.
Wayne.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Silver Member

A previous Post mentioned comparing Scope Resolution with actual Figures . If Resolution is as important to you as it is for me , you can Test it out for yourself . You can Google Resolution Test Targets and download them if you have a decent Printer . I got so tired of friends telling me about Scope Sharpness that did not match up to what I thought , that I decided to do my own Tests . Since BEST is defined for each individual need , it is often hard to compare . Also since there are no Standards on how to set up the Resolution Targets , it is very difficult for two people to compare results unless they pre-define exactly how they are going to Test . All my Tests are done in bright Sunlight because I am only interested in informal Target Shooting on Bright , Windless days or in Prairie Dog shooting ( those days are bright , but rarely Windless ! ) . I set up my Resolution Targets at 100 Yards , and so far only Test at 15X or 16X as that's where all my Fixed and Variable Varmint Scopes overlap in Power . Next Spring , I'm going to do some comparisons at Higher Powers . I set the Scopes on Sandbags or on Cardboard Boxes cut with "V" Notches so I can mount several Scopes side by side and Scan from one to another in a few seconds . You look at the Targets and pick the finest Lines and associated Spaces which you can see / Resolve . My problem is that I have to get my hands on what I want to Test and I don't think I will ever get a USO , S&B , Hensholdt , etc. to look at . Anyway , I always bring along my best to compare with . The downloadable Targets are good to use and I have even bought a few , but they are nowhere as good as the USAF Type Photolithographic Targets ( usually Chromium ) I used in work to Test Optics which cost far more than my home . For those with deep pockets , you can buy really nice Custom resolution targets . Anyway , you can Download some , tape them to a Box and might be surprised at what you see for yourself .

Last edited by tulku; 11-15-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: add
Old 11-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Bronze Member

Wayne it sounds as if your s & b experience is just what I need... Don't know where your at...but I'd sure like to pick your brain for awhile. I'm in Boerne so if you ever get close let me know I'd love to buy you lunch
Old 11-19-2012, 11:23 PM
Bronze Member

Daryl,
I live in S.E Washington state, I believe you live in Texas so lunch is probably is out at least right now but I could call you or you could call me, my email is
waynebezona@cpcinternet.com shoot me a email with phone number and a good time and I can call you,...I am pacific time.
Wayne.