Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics


Reply

What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #99  
Old 03-20-2010, 11:23 AM
LR3 LR3 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 177
Re: What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?

Call Alex also at Euro Optics for a quote. My first S&B 5-25 had a reticle put in by Premier and it would not go back to zero. He exchanged it for a new one within a week. Also gives great advice and support.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 03-25-2010, 04:09 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mukilteo, WA
Posts: 1,091
Re: What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klee View Post
What I do know from my practical experience is you can keep increasing the resolution of a lense system to some pretty incredible limits but at the sacrifice of depth of field and thats your trade off.
There is no direct relationship between depth of field and resolution in riflescopes.

Depth of field is affected by numerous factors, most obviously if they are of fixed parallax design, adjustable objective or sidefocus in order of decreasing depth of field in general. Really good examples of each will have great resolution, poor examples will have poor resolution.

One of the sharpest scopes I've ever had (probably still the sharpest resolution-wise for the money) was an IOR 2.5-10. It was in sharp focus from just beyond the muzzle to infinity. Great glass, coatings and optical design. Huge depth of field.

One of the poorest resolution "nice" scopes I've had, a 4.5-14X Leupold, had a very shallow depth of field. That had nothing to do with its resolution, but was a result of being a side focus scope--they pretty much all have shallower depth of field; those with "good glass" and those with "mediocre glass" alike.

In short, there are trade offs for scopes with better resolution. Mostly it's $$$$. Depth of field has nothing to do with it.
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 03-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 28
Re: What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A View Post
There is no direct relationship between depth of field and resolution in riflescopes.

Depth of field is affected by numerous factors, most obviously if they are of fixed parallax design, adjustable objective or sidefocus in order of decreasing depth of field in general. Really good examples of each will have great resolution, poor examples will have poor resolution.

One of the sharpest scopes I've ever had (probably still the sharpest resolution-wise for the money) was an IOR 2.5-10. It was in sharp focus from just beyond the muzzle to infinity. Great glass, coatings and optical design. Huge depth of field.

One of the poorest resolution "nice" scopes I've had, a 4.5-14X Leupold, had a very shallow depth of field. That had nothing to do with its resolution, but was a result of being a side focus scope--they pretty much all have shallower depth of field; those with "good glass" and those with "mediocre glass" alike.

In short, there are trade offs for scopes with better resolution. Mostly it's $$$$. Depth of field has nothing to do with it.
You may be right. I emailed an associate who is an expert in optical systems and lense construction about my questions on resolution and depth of field. Unfortunately he never returned my email, to bad because I'm curious to what he would have said. Not that it matters, it is what you see through the scope that counts. I once looked through a scope (a Leitz) made in the 1950's and it looked like a piece of crap but I about fell out of my chair because of how good it was. I made an offer but the owner wouldn't sell it come hell or high water.

I have always let my own eyes be the judge of a scopes quality and balance it against features and cost and what I'm using it for (microscopes or rifle scopes). Its so hard to buy a scope off the internet and know exactly what you are gonna get, its a crap shoot. So when someone asks "whats the best scope on the market" then buys one without looking through it and comparing it to others, he is rolling the dice. Of course if you respect opinions of the people on this forum I think the dice are loaded in his favor. I can't imagine the starter of this thread being anything but really happy with his Schmidt Bender purchase.

Cheers,

Klee

"the best sound of hunting season is the freezer door closing" - Tomato man at Wyomatoes
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 03-26-2010, 01:13 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: southeast washington state
Posts: 43
Re: What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klee View Post
Of course if you respect opinions of the people on this forum I think the dice are loaded in his favor. I can't imagine the starter of this thread being anything but really happy with his Schmidt Bender purchase.

Cheers,

Klee

"the best sound of hunting season is the freezer door closing" - Tomato man at Wyomatoes
Klee,
You are exactly correct about that.I did take the opinions of many different people from this forum to base my decision upon what scope to purchase.Boy did they stear me right I couldn't be happier with my S&B 5-25x56 pmII.For many a leupold was the perfect scope while others were in favor of night force,yet others in favor of the high end european glass.Now I own many leupold scopes and for normal field conditions there awesome for the price.For rough country tumbles and falls you definitely can't go wrong with a nsx.I also own a couple of them.My question was to this forum was for 3 or 4k$
WHAT IS THE BEST SCOPE ON THE MARKET PERIOD!!! And the people of this forum answered that question for me, S&B.I have looked through a premier,really liked it,probably will be one sitting on my new shootstick by summers end and will give a comparison @ that time.Untill then MANY THANKS TO ALL INVOLVED IN HELPING ME WITH MY DECISION!
Wayne.
__________________
Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder!!!
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 03-26-2010, 07:00 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,598
Re: What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozo699 View Post
Klee,
You are exactly correct about that.I did take the opinions of many different people from this forum to base my decision upon what scope to purchase.Boy did they stear me right I couldn't be happier with my S&B 5-25x56 pmII.For many a leupold was the perfect scope while others were in favor of night force,yet others in favor of the high end european glass.Now I own many leupold scopes and for normal field conditions there awesome for the price.For rough country tumbles and falls you definitely can't go wrong with a nsx.I also own a couple of them.My question was to this forum was for 3 or 4k$
WHAT IS THE BEST SCOPE ON THE MARKET PERIOD!!! And the people of this forum answered that question for me, S&B.I have looked through a premier,really liked it,probably will be one sitting on my new shootstick by summers end and will give a comparison @ that time.Untill then MANY THANKS TO ALL INVOLVED IN HELPING ME WITH MY DECISION!
Wayne.


I am sure that the Premier is an awesome scope and will be looking forward to your evaluation
__________________
range it,check the wind, dial in correction, aim and only one shot
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 03-26-2010, 08:15 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 28
Re: What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozo699 View Post
Klee,
You are exactly correct about that.I did take the opinions of many different people from this forum to base my decision upon what scope to purchase.Boy did they stear me right I couldn't be happier with my S&B 5-25x56 pmII.For many a leupold was the perfect scope while others were in favor of night force,yet others in favor of the high end european glass.Now I own many leupold scopes and for normal field conditions there awesome for the price.For rough country tumbles and falls you definitely can't go wrong with a nsx.I also own a couple of them.My question was to this forum was for 3 or 4k$
WHAT IS THE BEST SCOPE ON THE MARKET PERIOD!!! And the people of this forum answered that question for me, S&B.I have looked through a premier,really liked it,probably will be one sitting on my new shootstick by summers end and will give a comparison @ that time.Untill then MANY THANKS TO ALL INVOLVED IN HELPING ME WITH MY DECISION!
Wayne.

This was a really good thread, I hope other people still check it out after it ages. There are a lot of great scopes out there, even ones below the $1k (like my brick sh.. house built 6x burris). My buddy has his Nightforce 5.5x22 on order (12 week wait!), I have my Premier 3.5x15 (waiting for the picatinny base to be milled a scootch). There several different brands of scopes on the rifles of our rag tag group of long range shooters. It's a rock I just recently turned over and found a whole different breed lead chucking cats. It's gonna be a lot of fun shooting for bragging rights and a whole lot of ribbing going on at the range and during hunting season. But without the scope you don't get to play!!

Happy shooting

Klee
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 11-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 31
Re: What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?

I have just purchased a s & b 5 x 25 pll scope and the optics are incredible. It is going on one of my favorite weapon systems of all time a bolt action heavy barrel in .308. I am in a bit of a dilemma however as I'm not sure how to sight the beast in. The double turn turrets are getting the best of me. It seems as if a 20 min base is a necessity not an option. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Off market Sendero_Man Guns For Sale 11 03-14-2011 08:05 PM
RL-22 Going off the market? royinidaho General Discussion 8 03-25-2010 02:09 AM
Am in the market for a new gun freebird63 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 8 12-22-2009 08:36 PM
A yote 3rd period screech General Discussion 13 02-26-2007 08:31 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC