Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 06:47 PM

Re: What is the best scope on the market PERIOD?

I'd like to re-energize this thread to keep it going.

I have never understood why nobody does any resolution tests on scopes to finally put to rest all the speculation, conjecture and posturing.

This is really a question to those of you who might know, e.g. any resident optical engineers? As a simpleton, I envision setting up a resolution chart at a known distance and controlling as many variables as possible, time of day, temp, ocular adjustment to name a few.

Why would that be so hard? Obviously I am missing something, any ideas what that is?

I guess I see resolution as the prime factor for the "best" scope. Contrast is a close second but also integral to resolution. These two variables are what enable us to differentiate game from weeds, and to shoot in low light conditions.

Let me personalize this a little, as a guy who has been loosing his great eye sight for 15-20 years it seems that these two qualities of a scope become more and more important. I just can't see what I used to be able to see. Simple magnification has to many mirage side effects.

So somebody educate me . . . please.

Best,
Ross
Old 03-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossneder View Post
I'd like to re-energize this thread to keep it going.

I have never understood why nobody does any resolution tests on scopes to finally put to rest all the speculation, conjecture and posturing.

This is really a question to those of you who might know, e.g. any resident optical engineers? As a simpleton, I envision setting up a resolution chart at a known distance and controlling as many variables as possible, time of day, temp, ocular adjustment to name a few.

Why would that be so hard? Obviously I am missing something, any ideas what that is?

I guess I see resolution as the prime factor for the "best" scope. Contrast is a close second but also integral to resolution. These two variables are what enable us to differentiate game from weeds, and to shoot in low light conditions.

Let me personalize this a little, as a guy who has been loosing his great eye sight for 15-20 years it seems that these two qualities of a scope become more and more important. I just can't see what I used to be able to see. Simple magnification has to many mirage side effects.

So somebody educate me . . . please.

Best,
Ross
Ross,

There may be some who disagree, but I personally don't think that resolution is the most important or "prime" factor for a hunting scope. I do think that it is very important to a degree, but assuming that resolution is adequate for the use intended, i.e. shooting a deer @ 1000 yds, the most important thing is that the scope is dependable and rugged enough to provide predictable and repeatable results. And IMHO (the "H" part may be questionable) this makes NF NXS's about the perfect LR Hunting scopes. They may not have quite the optics that some other scopes have, but their optics are exceptional from my view, much more than I really need for 1K shooting in any "hunting light" conditions. I think the most important reason for a hunting scope to have good optics is for load development and being able to accurately see the POA and put the cross hairs precisely there.

In this case the OP said the scope is not for hunting and he opted for an S&B which might be the best choice for him.

So when we're considering "what the best scope is?" We need to define what it's being used for.

I completely agree that there should be an objective test for scopes that test all the attributes. Resolution, light gathering, contrast, repeatability and ruggedness to name a few.

One thing about optics is that making lenses is as much a skill as it is a science and there will be some variance from lens to lens and scope to scope from the same manufacturer. You would need a good random sample population for each scope type to get an accurate range of quality.

-Mark
Old 03-17-2010, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Ross,

There may be some who disagree, but I personally don't think that resolution is the most important or "prime" factor for a hunting scope. I do think that it is very important to a degree, but assuming that resolution is adequate for the use intended, i.e. shooting a deer @ 1000 yds, the most important thing is that the scope is dependable and rugged enough to provide predictable and repeatable results. And IMHO (the "H" part may be questionable) this makes NF NXS's about the perfect LR Hunting scopes. They may not have quite the optics that some other scopes have, but their optics are exceptional from my view, much more than I really need for 1K shooting in any "hunting light" conditions. I think the most important reason for a hunting scope to have good optics is for load development and being able to accurately see the POA and put the cross hairs precisely there.

In this case the OP said the scope is not for hunting and he opted for an S&B which might be the best choice for him.

So when we're considering "what the best scope is?" We need to define what it's being used for.

I completely agree that there should be an objective test for scopes that test all the attributes. Resolution, light gathering, contrast, repeatability and ruggedness to name a few.

One thing about optics is that making lenses is as much a skill as it is a science and there will be some variance from lens to lens and scope to scope from the same manufacturer. You would need a good random sample population for each scope type to get an accurate range of quality.

-Mark

There are objective test that have been performed and the S&B come out at the top of the pack.

Theis being a long range hunting site I assume that the question is about long range hunting scopes. As I stated before both Nightforce and S&B are very rugged and precise in their adjuctments and the only thing that I see seperating them is the view and S&B wins that one.

If the view is not important to some one then it is no big deal. I have and continue to use NXS scopes successfuly, but to decide which is best one must split hairs
Old 03-17-2010, 08:04 PM

I'd be interested in seeing the tests you mentioned. The ones I have seen are several years old and Hendsoldt came out on top.

Possibly I should start a new thread since I'm really more interested in the testing element.

Ross
Old 03-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossneder View Post
I'd be interested in seeing the tests you mentioned. The ones I have seen are several years old and Hendsoldt came out on top.

Possibly I should start a new thread since I'm really more interested in the testing element.

Ross

John Barnesness did the test on Optics Talk. COM. He tested the S&B 2X10 Summit and it was the highest resolving scope that he had ever tested. Later he tested a Swarovski that also resolved and 8 and he compared the 2 and thought the S&B was a bit better, but eventualy decide it was too close to call

I know my S&B 5X25 PMll resolved as well as my Swarovski 20X60X80 spotter and that is saying something
Old 03-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

John---did he test any USO's? Have talked to John several times and he seems to be fairly knowledgable that is why I am asking.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp475 View Post
John Barnesness did the test on Optics Talk. COM. He tested the S&B 2X10 Summit and it was the highest resolving scope that he had ever tested. Later he tested a Swarovski that also resolved and 8 and he compared the 2 and thought the S&B was a bit better, but eventualy decide it was too close to call

I know my S&B 5X25 PMll resolved as well as my Swarovski 20X60X80 spotter and that is saying something

How did he measure the resolution?