Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

What is the best Nightforce NXS reticle for your purpose?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 06:56 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What is the best Nightforce NXS reticle for your purpose?

Scott,
I have a NXS 2.5-10 w NP-R2 on a light weight 300WM and own 2 5.5x22-50mm with the NP-R1 for longrange work.
I like the NP-R1 over the R2 as the windage hashmarks are 2 MOA making it easier to hold wind if I have to. The NP-R2 has 5 MOA hashmarks on the horizontal line, making it slightly more difficult to hold off for wind as accurately.
And to answer your question to me from another thread about SFP, I like to see the reticle at low power, which I find difficult to do with a FFP scope.I also don't range with my scope, I use a LRF , nor do I holdover, I dial my dope. So basically, the FFP scope has no advantages for me.Also, most of the time for longrange shooting, I am at max power setting anyway on the scope.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:04 AM

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all your input. NP-R1 it is then! That one was definitely on the top of my list, but I wanted to know from you guys that've actually utilized this reticle thought.

Trueblue,
Thanks for your input on my other post SFP vs. FFP. The small reticle at close ranges on the FFP is something I've heard quite alot about, and in most hunting situations, you're sooting between 300-500 yards and I wouldn't want that to be a problem. And I know that NF only offers FFP in there F1 scope anyways, which wouldn't work for me. I know this is a little off subject, but you mentioned you use MOA. That is all I've used but I hear that mRad is the way to go due to it being exact, when MOA is actually 1.05 inches at 100 yards. What's your take on this? Have you had any experience using mRad?

Thanks again guys for your help,
Scott
Old 01-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member

I have know experience with mil. I looked into switching over at one point, but I can do the exact same thing with MOA. My mind thinks in inches, so MOA is easier,better, for my purposes. For example, if I shoot at my target longrange, say 800yards, and miss by 4" to the right, my mind tells me quickly that that is 1/2 MOA off to the right.
Or I could just spot my own shot in the scope and hold off what my miss error was. Mil is used the same way.
As far as mil being more accurate, I don't buy it.
If I was a tactical shooter and had to range unknown distances all the time, I think mil would be easier,the math conversions are easier for mil, but since I am not, ffp and mil to not serve my purposes .
Old 01-23-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
I have know experience with mil. I looked into switching over at one point, but I can do the exact same thing with MOA. My mind thinks in inches, so MOA is easier,better, for my purposes. For example, if I shoot at my target longrange, say 800yards, and miss by 4" to the right, my mind tells me quickly that that is 1/2 MOA off to the right.
Or I could just spot my own shot in the scope and hold off what my miss error was. Mil is used the same way.
As far as mil being more accurate, I don't buy it.
If I was a tactical shooter and had to range unknown distances all the time, I think mil would be easier,the math conversions are easier for mil, but since I am not, ffp and mil to not serve my purposes .
When you put it like that, my mind thinks in inches too, and I will also be using this gun for mainly long range so MOA would be perfect. I'm new to the LR shooting so my mind doesn't work like yours yet, when knowing what to dial it to right away, but I'm sure it comes with repetition. Thanks again.

Scott
Old 01-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottCoulter36 View Post
The small reticle at close ranges on the FFP is something I've heard quite alot about, and in most hunting situations, you're sooting between 300-500 yards and I wouldn't want that to be a problem.
This has been a problem with the NF F1 as they haven't had any decent FFP reticles for it. The MLR basically disappears on low power.

However they've finally come out with some decent reticles which should be very nice (available in 60 days or so):

Keep in mind, a decent FFP reticle will be easier to see and faster to use on low power than the SFP R1, R2 and MLR reticles are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
My mind thinks in inches, so MOA is easier,better, for my purposes. For example, if I shoot at my target longrange, say 800yards, and miss by 4" to the right, my mind tells me quickly that that is 1/2 MOA off to the right.
This should be moot because unless you're "ranging" an object (which does make the math easier for MOA but few of us here ever do instead of using a LRF) there's no reason you should be thinking in inches or measuring your misses in inches. Any time you spend thinking inches is wasted effort.

The only way you can even know you are 4" off at 800 yds is to know the size of the target and "guesstimate" it from that. Or walk out there with a ruler and measure it. Then, knowing the range, you can use the "easy math" to calculate you are 1/2 MOA off.

It is much, much, easier to simply measure how far off you are in MOA or Mils with your reticle. Then either hold that with your reticle or dial it into your turrets.

No inches ever required. And no guesstimation--only a direct measurement of anglular unit (either one works just fine). You don't need to know the size of the target, or the distance to the target.

Last edited by Jon A; 01-23-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:11 AM
Silver Member

My mind thinks in metric and hence the MILS seems more suitable to me.

Hence I purchased the NXS with the MLR reticle and find it works great with a laser range finder.

cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottCoulter36 View Post
When you put it like that, my mind thinks in inches too, and I will also be using this gun for mainly long range so MOA would be perfect. I'm new to the LR shooting so my mind doesn't work like yours yet, when knowing what to dial it to right away, but I'm sure it comes with repetition. Thanks again.

Scott