Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

What is the best Anti Cant level?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What is the best Anti Cant level?

Best level you can buy is the Flat Line Ops level hands down... not that the level itself is more level than the rest, but what sets them apart is they can flip out for ease of use and flipped back in so its out of the way and the level works in both positions. Secondly the level can be adjusted once mounted on the scope which is WAY easier for fine tuning your level. I have tried a lot of levels, holland, vortex, and a few more and they are good levels but the Flat Line is far and away the best set up IMO. but it comes at a price

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 06-24-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
Best level you can buy is the Flat Line Ops level hands down... not that the level itself is more level than the rest, but what sets them apart is they can flip out for ease of use and flipped back in so its out of the way and the level works in both positions. Secondly the level can be adjusted once mounted on the scope which is WAY easier for fine tuning your level. I have tried a lot of levels, holland, vortex, and a few more and they are good levels but the Flat Line is far and away the best set up IMO. but it comes at a price
Agree 100%. I have Hollands on my scopes but would put the adjustable FLat Line in a heart beat if they made a 1" version. It's almost impossible to adjust Hollands/Vortex type levels to be 100% level with the rifle. Mine are 95% there but even that was a pain.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLKHunter View Post
Agree 100%. I have Hollands on my scopes but would put the adjustable FLat Line in a heart beat if they made a 1" version. It's almost impossible to adjust Hollands/Vortex type levels to be 100% level with the rifle. Mine are 95% there but even that was a pain.
There is a 'trick' to getting the Holland level, level and parallel with the receiver because as you secure the capscrew, it wants to walk a bit. A bit of a PITA, I admit but doable with some patience.

Actually the best 'anti-cant' is training yourself to hold the firearm level. I use the level as a reference as I tend to cant to the right. Just a corrective measure for myself.

Actuallyu the best option would be a fine adjustment on the level itself. I shot for years without (a level) and had no issue so it was just a 'gotta have it thing'.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLKHunter View Post

They do make a 1"

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 06-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

I have a couple of Holland levels and one Flatline. No question the Flatline, almost 3x the cost, is a nice design and easy to adjust precisely. The issue I have noticed with the Holland is a tendency for the bubble to split into two when cold or under recoil. It happens with all three I have. Not a big deal since you can still center them, but an annoyance. Perhaps it's caused by the density of the liquid used. Have never seen this with the Flatiline.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 06-24-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
They do make a 1"
I though only the patriot model that comes in 30mm, 34mm and 35mm was adjustable?
Old 06-24-2013, 04:38 PM
Silver Member

+1 for the flat line ops. I like not only that it folds up so its out of the way but mounting straight to the picatinny rail means I can swap it from rifle to rifle and not have to break out 2 other levels to level the scope level. Some say its pricey but in my opinion so are a lot of the others available.