Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

What base and rings to buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 06:53 PM

What base and rings to buy?

I just got a savage LRH in 7mm and bought a Vortex Viper Pst. What picatinny base should I get and what scope rings should i buy. I was thinking about the night force base and was undecided on the rings
Old 03-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What base and rings to buy?

I use EGW HD bases and TPS HD 30mm rings for your setup. Both are aluminum. If you go with a 0 MOA base, you could get away with low rings. With a 20 MOA base, I'd say go mediums.

Midway USA sells them.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:24 AM
Platinum Member

I have a Savage target action with a 20 MOA rail and a 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope with a Vortex custom turret. - - - - - - - - - - - -

Look here to see the specs. and how it looks mounted:

Vortex Viper PST mounted with pics. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph

PS: With the low rings I still had to raise the adjustable comb up to get a perfect alignment looking into the eye piece. I think medium rings would be to high. If you use exactly like the ones I used your scope will sit exactly like mine.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member

MurphyPrecision.com - Scope Bases, Rings, and Assorted Shooting Accessories.

^^^ One stop shop. I have MK4, Nightforce, Badger & Murphy Precision pic rails on my rifles with the last two purchased being Murphy Precision. Cameron is a great guy & is willing to custom build if necessary (my last two were custom). You can choose cant, finish & your choice of SS or Titanium. If you heed any advice offered in this thread, please: DON'T scrimp on bases & rings, your long range rig is only as repeatable as your optics & your optics are only as solid as your mounts.

t

Old 03-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
I have a Savage target action with a 20 MOA rail and a 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope with a Vortex custom turret. - - - - - - - - - - - -

Look here to see the specs. and how it looks mounted:

Vortex Viper PST mounted with pics. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph

PS: With the low rings I still had to raise the adjustable comb up to get a perfect alignment looking into the eye piece. I think medium rings would be to high. If you use exactly like the ones I used your scope will sit exactly like mine.

I've heard great things about Vortex (supposedly made by Seekins Precision). All reports have been great but I have not used any as of yet.

t

Old 03-27-2013, 10:03 AM
Silver Member

I have been in the process of doing an in depth scope mounting and mounting kit review. after trying a few different combinations I now have a new favorite ring. I ended up with the Burris Signature Zee Rings. The ability to adjust your scope using the inserts is excellent. You can add up to 20MOA with just the inserts. or if your gun isn't straight or the holes are drilled slightly off you can correct for this as I had to do. Combine them with the EGW rail and you have an affordable solid option. I can tell you, the counter monkey that will be kind enough to mount your scope and bore site it for you, has no clue what it takes to properly align and mount a scope. I have been 3 full days into this project. For a solid, quick and easy mount, I like the Talley one piece rings. They need lapped to prevent ring marks and there is not any adjustment to them but they are just a great ring option.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member

I use EGW rails and Leupold QD rings for easy on and off.