Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Weaver Tactical Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

Weaver Tactical Question

Got a Weaver Tactical. No sun shade. Want one.

Question: Do any of the Weaver 40mm sun shades fit the Tactical?

emailed Weaver - no response,

TNX
RNC
Old 01-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Gold Member

Re: Weaver Tactical Question

Roy, I wish I could answer your question... I dunno.

But I do want to ask you what you impression of the Weaver Tactical scope is. Is it the 3 to 9 or the 4.5 to 14?

I know that Weaver has discontinued these. They have a first focal plane mildot reticle, right?

Dan
Old 01-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

Heard about them from Kirby Allen. He has several. Uses them on those super hooty AMs @ 10X for long range.

Found a used one at SWFA when they had backordered a Super Sniper. Asked them what they had laying around. Had just taken the Weaver in on trade. So I snapped it up.

Recall on the 270 mtn rifle thread I mentioned firing 11 shots at a deer after the first one. I was so used to that 270 and Leuy Duplex that I used it for rough ranging.

Huge Muley buck got up in front of me. I saw the movement and immediately put the scope on him. When I put that rifle to shoulder the target is always inside the wide bars of the duplex. Darn he seemed a ways away. Held on top of back, hit where aimed. Did it again and again and again and again. When they have horns especially BIG horns I tend to freak out. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Finally figured I was on 3X instead of 9X. Had just come out of "the cedars". By then he was a long ways away. I just kept shooting.

The next wednesday some kid got him. Rack as wide as a pickup bed. Well huge any way. I could of cried. Probably did.....

Last weekend I set the Steel yote out at 735 and plunked it a couple of times. Then noted that the scope was on 10X instead of 14X. Ya, know, it didn't make a difference. Priceless [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Yep Its a 4.5 x 14.
Yep,Its first focal plane. Wouldn't have it any other way.
The 338 Win w/brake knocks the squat out of things. The burris signature rings hold it steady.

1/8 MOA clicks and plenty of them.

Repeatable clicks.

Bright and good field of view.

With sun low in the sky, my range is southerly, ya gotta have a shade [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Only need one drop chart regardless of power. With my other Mil Dot scope I have one drop chart for 10X and another for 20X. AND have been on the wrong prower and right drop chart a couple of times. Brings back that Buck memory. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

The only think comparable that "I" know of is the Super Sniper but its fixed power. Like them too.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:33 AM
Silver Member

Roy; Did you get my email about a week ago, telling you where you could buy a new 4.5-14 Weaver Tactical? I emailed it to you first rather than post it here just to be sure you had a chance to buy one before they were all gone. Let me know if you are interested. A new one may still be in stock for $319.00. I checked about a week ago and there was still inventory on hand.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

Stocks getting lower guys, I just got 2 more on the door step yesterday. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member

Must have deleted the email w/the adds for Rolexs and pills [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Sorry
Old 01-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

If you think you would like to buy a 4.5-14 Weaver Tactical brand new in the box, let me know and I'll email you the information on a supplier that may still have inventory on them. I didn't want to post it here without you having a chance to order one first. The stock is limited.