Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

A warning about Swarovski scope auctions that are fraudulent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2006, 12:09 AM

A warning about Swarovski scope auctions that are fraudulent

In October of last year I started to look for a Swarovski spotting scope on ebay and in the search box I put "Swarovski scope" and I would ALMOST ALWAYS get one or several listings back that are highlighted in purple or surrounded in purple in the search results I contacted ebay's fraud department and they always shut down the fraudulent auction, but more continued to pop up and continue to this day. You will notice in the specific auction that there is almost always perfect feedback and sometime very high numbers of positive perfect feedback. One particular auction I saw the seller had over 11,000 positive feedbacks! In the auction description is always the request to notify the seller with a direct email address and an attempt to keep a potential buyer from contacting the seller through the 'ask a seller a question' method. The reason for this is the seller password has been stolen and how does this happen? Usually a fake email that is being touted as being from ebay is sent that says your 'account has been compromised and will be shutdown in 48 hours unless we hear from you' (a phishing scam) and of course nobody wants there account shutdown so they go to the link and provide confidential info, including the ebay password and a bunch of fraudulent auctions are posted, just click on the 'View seller's other items' link and you will see a slew of fraudulent auctions. Of course the fraudulent seller requires a western union payment and that isnt tracable and bye-bye money. Here's a link to one of the fraudulent auctions they disappear quickly so you may have to put in a new search as I described above: http://cgi.ebay.com/Swarovski-STS-65-HD-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Remember to look for the purple line surrounding the auction in the search results. Ebay says much of this is coming from countries outside the US and the US State Department is trying to get cooperation from these other countries, but obviously isn't always successful. If you don't see one of these auctions just try again in a few hours or the next day they're always there its really too bad that people dupe others like this.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:41 AM
Silver Member

Re: A warning about Swarovski scope auctions that are fraudulent

E-Bay is full of this. Was interested recently to see a friends motorcycle being sold from China - so was my friend, especially as he'd just purchased it.

E-bay I guess I'm uneasy with except for the BuyItNow stuff. So I dont Use E-bay.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Gold Member

Re: A warning about Swarovski scope auctions that are fraudulent

I've done hundreds of trasactions on ebay, and with a little common sence you'll be fine. I have never been ripped off. I usually buy in country, but have bought a couple times out of it, and was fine. Like you said just look into it a little bit before buying.
and when someone is selling a 1500 spotting scope for 500 buy it now, you gotta be heads up.

thanks for the warning.