Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Want to learn how to dial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2008, 02:23 PM

Want to learn how to dial

I wanna learn how to dial for long range shooting and hunting 600 yds and up. I am planning to get a NightForce NXS 5.5-22x50mm to put on my 7wsm.

1. How do I know which recticle is right for my situations?

2. How the heck do I use one of these high tech scopes? Does it come with info?

I will practice a lot before I go in the field. Please help.

Thanks,

J:confused:
Old 08-21-2008, 05:15 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Want to learn how to dial

Hi Johnny,

The NF is a great choice to go with. As for the reticle to go with that is more of a personally preference.

The NP-1RR is a nice reticle for Varmint hunting and general hunting but not the best over all reticle.

The NP-R1 is very nice. The vertical lines are broken to 1moa and the horizontal lines are 2mao give you nice points for holdovers. For a lot of new shooter to long range

The MLR is my favorite reticle but I prefer the MIL system. The MLR is broken down into half Mil and I like this reticle with the MIL RAD turrets.

I would be happy to help you get know the scope and work up a elevation chart for you. Also if we can help you get the scope please feel free to ask.

Mike @ CSGW
Old 08-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

To dial you only need a cross hair type reticle. The Mill reticle and the various MOA reticles are useful if you intend to use the reticle for correction instead of dialing or a combonation of the two.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member

First of all, Welcome to Long Range Hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Boy View Post
You can go by all the recommendations you will receive but if you were to research/search on LRH you'd probably find that most like the NP-R2 or NP-R1 reticle for long range usage.

Quote:
The scope isn't really that much different from most scopes. About the biggest difference is the quality of every thing throughout the scope. The glass is superb and the turrets are built like a bank vault, positive, repeatable and rugged.

Here are some good articles from the home page that should help you out.
LongRangeHunting.com - Reading The Wind
LongRangeHunting.com - Setting Up For The Long Range Hunting Shot
LongRangeHunting.com - Setting Up Your Long Range Scope
LongRangeHunting.com - Reticle Perpendicularity

Then after you get the scope and gun all set up you can check into a good software package for field use, a handheld to run it on, a good weather meter and a good rangefinder.

Then practice, practice, practice.;)
Old 08-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
For dialing, there is no better than a plain old crosshair. NF's CH1 is excellent for long range -field use.

Quote:
All your doing with dials is changing your zero to match target conditions. Of course, you need to know your target conditions. Like for instance; range and appropriate adjustment needed. The side focus adjustment is needed to eliminate parallax that comes into play with high power scopes. The lit reticle helps as it gets dark out.

Quote:
I will practice a lot before I go in the field. Please help.
Long range shooting takes more than aim. It takes a system. It also takes disipline to work out the bugs, determine your true capabilities, and develop solid routine. Afterall, even with long ranges, you don't have forever to squeez off a shot(or decide its best not to).
A typical LR system includes a 1/2moa rifle, a field adjustable scope(like NXS), a laser rangefinder, a dropchart, and a bipod(harris).
This gets you to 600yds..
Old 08-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Johnny Boy,

I see you’re in Sacramento I'm in Elk Grove give me a call or stop by the shop! I would be happy to help you in shooting Long Range.

Mike @ CSGW