Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Are VxIII's suitible for long range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2007, 02:03 AM
Gold Member

Are VxIII\'s suitible for long range?

I have a vxIII 4.5=14x40 boone and crockett reticule w/ adj. objective. Do they track and return to zero well? Do they pass the box test? I'm wondering if I should sell it and get something else? I have a mark 4 on another rig and like it.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:37 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Are VxIII\'s suitible for long range?

I have a vxIII 4.5x14 without the AO. I have noticed a couple times that the first shot after an adjustment was not 'settled'. Its a good scope and can be used, but I wouldn't use it for 'dialing/clicking' a drop.

Maybe mine is the only one that has this tendency, but there you have it.

Hope that helps,
Don

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 02-12-2007, 08:31 AM

Agree with the problems they have with settling. Its frustrating burning ammo and have the point of impact changing without touching the dial. I have tried to correct it by overshhoting the adjustment back and forth before settling on the spot but still its an issue. For a $600 scope, you would think that it wouldn't be a problem.

As for long range, if your long range consists of under 600 yrds, they're fine. Over that i'd look into a nightforce or another brand where you can dial it in.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Platinum Member

I've only experienced it 1 time with my VX2, 6-18x40. I dialed up around 600 yards to shoot at a coyote. I happened to see another in a field about 100 yards away laying down none the less. I dialed back down to my 100y zero and shot. Much to my surprise he jumped up and hauled butt. I was just sitting there thinking no way did I just miss a yote at 100 yards laying prone. My uncle said I shot about 5ft over him. Had to have been my scope...Thats only happened to me 1 time in about 5 years of dialing up and down on the VX2.

I have a vx3 LR 6.5-20x50 and it seems to track really well. I've only had this scope for around 4 months, but I have yet to see tracking problems with it. Time will tell though...

On a sidenote, i have seen some people dial past the correct range a couple clicks, then go back down to the correct setting. Have also seen people tap the scope tube after dialing up or down. Any truth to any of that???
Old 02-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Have also seen people tap the scope tube after dialing up or down. Any truth to any of that???

[/ QUOTE ]

Tapping doesn't help my scope at all. I've tried it to no avail, to the point that whenever I change the setting, I will shoot it at least once off target, then shoot it to see if I adjusted it correctly.

Don

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 02-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

My answer is YES! I use Leupolds exclusively and recommend them to my students and they are the only scope minus NF that I know will dial and come to zero. If a Leup won't, they fix it and send it back in less than 10 working days for free. I have one old Leupold Vari-xIII 6.5-20x50 LRT that has literally had the elevation knob dialed around full revolutions tens of thousands of times and it is still spot on. The vxIII 6.5-25 LRT converted to 14.5-35 by Premier on the 338 Lapua improved gets dialed around 3 full revs to take some looonnngg shots and always goes back to zero when we're done shooting it. I have yet to see any other scope dial that many minutes up and come back to zero-not even NF. I'm sure NF would work, I just have not seen anyone dial one up for more than a 1500 yard shot which isn't that many revs.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

Hey GG, it always seems to amaze me still at how many people have bad luck with Leupolds. A lot of times they'll even send them off and get them back and they still dont work. I dont really understand, but then again, no company is bulletproof in the QC department. I cant really justify the price difference between the NF and the Leuoplds myself. Leupolds work great for me and I'll continue to use them for dialing up and down.