Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vx2 good for long range??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 11:44 PM
Silver Member

Re: Vx2 good for long range??

Thanks for all the help guys. Ill check around some more. Have an SWFA 12x42 I'm going to use for a while til I get something else so I'm In No rush. Just want a quality LR scope at a fair deal
Old 12-24-2012, 12:22 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timl View Post
I had a Leup Vari-x II 6-18 years ago on a 223, then a 22-250. I dialed it all the time, and it always came back to zero. I always thought the glass was good. I have little experience with Nikon or Vortex...other than the crossfire on my .22lr. I am sending you a PM.
+1. I've had really good luck w th 6-18 vxII. I have one on my 243 AI and have set up two of my dads rifles w them. They ALWAYS return to zero. I haven't had to adjust zero on mine in several years. I wouldn't shy away from the leupy in the least bit.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Silver Member

Also just found a zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50 for $849. That's not too far from my price range. Anyone have any experience with these?? Are they a quality longrangehunter scope??
Old 12-25-2012, 02:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootnMathews View Post
Also just found a zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50 for $849. That's not too far from my price range. Anyone have any experience with these?? Are they a quality longrangehunter scope??
Sure if you like the 1" tube and the lack of SOLID rings and paying half of the $$$ for the zeiss name.....for glass that has never been to germany. Looking at traditional optic sources you might as well hit a nightforce...at least it holds its value. Nikon, leup, burris, zeiss etc are all sitting around cashing in on thier name that other people spent 40+ years building. Now the produce a $500 product to sell for $1000 to people who dont know any better. Save your money for a nice LL BEAN jacket if you like throwing cash away...or send it to me lol.
Look at the newer companies out there and find the right one for a glass bargain, bargain and big name do not go together.
A BARGAIN is so important in glass because of this...all scopes have 14 lenses, a tube, knobs etc. They are all the same...cep for the glass. Now take a leup/nikon/zeiss etc. It will cost $1000 dollars. $200 in materials $300 in labor $500 for the name. A vortex/sightron/bushnell elite/weaver tactical will have $350 in materials, $350 in labor and $100 in the name.
Big name you spent $1000 for $500 worth of glass.
Little guy you spent $800 for $700 worth of glass.
You pick....if you have to buy a "BRAND NAME" realize the guy next to you will have much better glass than you for the same $$$.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:16 AM
Silver Member

IOR 2.5x10 with MP-8 $950 if your gonna push the $$ a little. Also Meopta has several under $800 which gets you euro glass also.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:42 AM
Silver Member

Wow just hit ebay and you can buy a diavari used for the $$ of that conquuest. I think Id take the dia. with an eternal warranty.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Silver Member

I've got 3, VX III and I'm happy with all of them. Buddy of mine just put a VX II 6-18, with the CDS dial, on his 7mm and I thought the glass was pretty good for the price. We shot it out to 780yds and it seemed to track fine, what little I used it.
Now I know there's a lot of people on here that like the vortex's and I don't have a lot of experience with them, but the one 6-24, PST I did look through was bad. It was very cloudy around the edges, and it wouldn't get clear. Probably one bad apple, because theres a pile of shooters that love them. But the same guy has a couple of Mark 4's, 6.5-20 and I think the glass is exceptional on them.
I've got one sightron SIII 6-24 that's waiting to be placed on 6.5x284 that's looks damn clear. I thinks its clearer than my VXIII's, but it's really hard to tell until they get mounted and you start using them. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another sightron SIII. I also wouldn't hesitate to buy VXII for moderate ranges either. For the most part you get what you pay for.