Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vx2 good for long range??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 11:44 PM
Gold Member

Vx2 good for long range??

I need a good long range scope for my savage LRH. I can't afford $1300 for a great scope but I see Nikon has a monarch *-20x50 with target turrets for $700 and leupold has a vx2 6-18x40. With target turrets for $750. Any input on these of which would be the best?? The gun will be used for hunting out to 800 and paper punching to 1200
Old 12-23-2012, 01:42 AM
Silver Member

Re: Vx2 good for long range??

Many better deals out there for the $7-800 range. Look at the vortex HS and PST line. Sightron makes some good glass in that range as does bushnell tactical. Any of these will paste the two you mentioned in value. You can get a MOA 2 reticle from these guys for right at the cost of the nikon and leup. with better glass and turrets. Leup makes some bad stuff but it isnt the VX2. I like Nikon glass and circle bdc system but its nowhere near as effective as a real LR reticle. SWFA is liable to have one of those on the samplelist for less than the Nikon or Leup.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:36 AM
Gold Member

I looked at vortex's site. Cheapest scope I saw in that power range was $850. The rest were $1000 and up. For that price I could get a leupold VX-3. Which are good scopes from what I've seen.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Silver Member

I had a Leup Vari-x II 6-18 years ago on a 223, then a 22-250. I dialed it all the time, and it always came back to zero. I always thought the glass was good. I have little experience with Nikon or Vortex...other than the crossfire on my .22lr. I am sending you a PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootnMathews View Post
I looked at vortex's site. Cheapest scope I saw in that power range was $850. The rest were $1000 and up. For that price I could get a leupold VX-3. Which are good scopes from what I've seen.
You were looking at MSRP for those. Many websites have them cheaper. SWFA will probably have something on the samplelist for an even better deal. Leup scopes CAN be good deals but a scope setup similar to the vortex or sightron will run you a lot more $$$. VX2s are ok for a cabelas style product but I certainly wouldnt hobble myself with one for LR.
Manufacturer websites are cool to look at but when you want a deal look into our site sponsors such as SWFA or opticplanet etc. Swfa has 4x16x50 with the moa 1 reticle for $650 and a 6x24 for $750. I didnt check sightron its too much work but they are in the same range. Either of these would be a much better choice than what you were looking at.
The weaver tactical and bushnell elite tactical are also right around the same $$ as the others and bear checking out also.
Good luck.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:12 PM
Platinum Member

We've replace all our VX-3's with Vortex PST's or HS LR's, a co worker is selling of his MK4's for Vortex, I don't see anything Leupold makes that is interesting anymore.
The Vortex HS LR 4-16x50 will out run both optics your looking at for around 600-650 dollars. For more magnification the PST or SIII 6-24x50 in the 800 dollar range would be better options.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
We've replace all our VX-3's with Vortex PST's or HS LR's, a co worker is selling of his MK4's for Vortex, I don't see anything Leupold makes that is interesting anymore.
The Vortex HS LR 4-16x50 will out run both optics your looking at for around 600-650 dollars. For more magnification the PST or SIII 6-24x50 in the 800 dollar range would be better options.
Leup has been resting on thier laurels and an old brand name that they could leverage into selling at walmart and cabelas for years now. And in my OPINION never were that innovative or VALUE oriented. Yes they build some great scopes....and some real walmart crap also. Regardless of wal mart or MK4 they get pasted by other brands when you consider bang for the buck. Cool scope 30 yrs ago thats using its good name to cash in....reminds me of remington.