Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vortex vs. Zen-Ray

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 01:55 PM

Re: Vortex vs. Zen-Ray

Someone mentioned that Vortex Razor Spotter is actually made in China. After making a stop in Japan on its way to the US, it magically became Made in Japan. How much work needs to be done in Japan before something can be labeled as Made In Japan?
Old 06-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Gold Member

every part has to be manufactured and all assembly has to be done in japan for it to be really made in japan.if all the parts are manufactured in china,yet it is assembled in japan,it is still chinese made.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas steve View Post
every part has to be manufactured and all assembly has to be done in japan for it to be really made in japan.if all the parts are manufactured in china,yet it is assembled in japan,it is still chinese made.
That's not correct. If a certain percentage of the parts are made in Japan, it can be legally labelled as "made in Japan". If assembly is done in China, then it may be labelled as "assembled in China".
Old 06-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas steve View Post
this one i don't know for sure but i believe u.s optics is claiming 100% u.s made.
You are on thin ice with that statement. Lets say assembled in the United States from parts sourced worldwide. There is a blurry line between 'made', 'manufactured' and assembled depending on which side of the corporate desk you reside on.....

Additionally.... There are only 2 places that I know of in the United States that make optical glass elements and neither are within the realm of normal citizens as far as paying for the products they manufacture.

Just had my bubble broken with Eberlestock. I ordered a G2 and then found out it's made in some sweatshop in a Pacific Rim country, despite the nice website and the owner's smiling face as he works on packs... Right. Works on unpacking overseas containers. I fell like sending it back and getting out my old, worn Kelty, made here backpack. The clown is making a killing on the good old consumer. I thought it would be a quality, made in USA pack. I was wrong...again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb07 View Post
Someone mentioned that Vortex Razor Spotter is actually made in China. After making a stop in Japan on its way to the US, it magically became Made in Japan. How much work needs to be done in Japan before something can be labeled as Made In Japan?
It depends entirely on content and time in assembly. It might come from China in bulk and be individually packaged in Japan and depending on trade agreements and tarriff structure, that may make it enough of a percentage to say 'made in Japan'. There are a whole raft of loopholes in adressing the orign's of products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith View Post
That's not correct. If a certain percentage of the parts are made in Japan, it can be legally labelled as "made in Japan". If assembly is done in China, then it may be labelled as "assembled in China".
That is correct and it all has to do with International Trade Agreements.

I kind of like the name 'Zen-Ray'. Sort of like Ray-Ban or death ray.....
Old 06-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Silver Member

its really a mute point, nothing on the razor comes from china. after recent conversations on lr hunting i called terry shamus this morning to clarify (about the pst line).

apparently a regional distributer was extreamly confused on the facts wich started this big rumor
Old 06-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting. It's very hard to follow a trail of any assembly as it is assembled from intrinsic parts. It's equally hard to ascertain where all the parts originated.

Back in the day, it was much easier because parts and assemblies were all sourced from the parent country, Japan or the United States or Germany or England but thats all changed..... and in some cases, parts have to be sourced from offshore the parent country because the are unobtainable in that particular country, or at least ar a price that makes the end product competitive.

I'm reasonably sure that every scope, for that matter every optical device sold to consumers, has parts and assemblies sourced from everywhere....sort of like the car you drive....
Old 06-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Silver Member

^Yup.

vette,

What did he say about the PST line?