Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vortex vs. Zen-Ray

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Silver Member

Vortex vs. Zen-Ray

Is it me or do the Zen-Ray binoculars and spotting scope look just like the Vortex binos and spotter? Are they made by the same company and just rebranded? I have vortex products and really like them and just noticed zen-ray looks really similar.?.?
Old 05-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Vortex vs. Zen-Ray

Zen rays are made in China and were reverse enginered off of Vortex HD Razor, which are made in Japan. There are some lens differences and sizes. So not made in the same place.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:38 PM

Gaps. Please see the most recent review by the Outdoor Life

http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xqvxg5

Please feel free to contact us if you have any question.

Charles
Old 05-26-2012, 11:19 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the replies guys...now which products are are better? I really like the value that you get with vortex and you can't beat their warranty...I would really like to compare the two companies products against each other...anyone heard of head to head reviews? Thanks
Old 05-26-2012, 11:25 PM

Hi Gaps,

I have to admit that I am partial here. Our ZEN ED2 spotting scope is a great value with its $200 instant discount. If in doubt, simply get a set of each and compare them side by side. We carry full 30-day satisfaction guarrantee and lifetime warranty on our products.

If you visit Birdforum, one of the largest birding optics website on the internet, there are a lot of reviews and feedbacks on our optics.

Thanks

Charles
Old 05-27-2012, 10:38 PM
Gold Member

Without going into info that is in litigation, one could say that the Z_R ED2 and the Vortex Razor spotting scope are "almost" identical. The ZR's body is 1/2" shorter than the Vortex. Optically, side by side comparison of the two is identical. The Zen Ray is a very nice scope, and for its price, it's a steal! In fact the eyepieces of the two scopes can probably interchange. The protective cases are different with the ZR being very nice and functional. I cant comment on the Vortex's. I have no opinion on the binoculars.
Hope this helps.

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS
Old 06-05-2012, 12:03 PM

It looks like ZR ED2 spotter just beat out Nikon EDG for resolution and brightness in latest Outdoor Life testing. ZEN ED2 has dielectric coating on the prism. Not sure if Vortex has similar coating.