Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vortex Vs Zeiss?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 10:18 AM

Re: Vortex Vs Zeiss?

i love my Zeiss 4.5x14x50, i have the target turrets on my and it is spot on. I have been wanting a Viper for sometime now though too. I am waiting for their new hunting line coming out this summer. I am not big on the illuminated reticles of the other lines. But as far a durability and clear glass the viper will have a lot to prove to be better than the Zeiss, IMHO.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:52 AM
SPONSOR

We sell both the Zeiss and the Vortex line and I love them both. THe Zeiss scopes will have excellent glass and the z-600,800 and 1000 reticles have really sparked there appeal to the long range shooter.

I would say the vortex PST and Razor line would have the edge in any tactical department and their turrets have proven to be very very dependable, standing side by side with NF all day long. The glass in the Razor line is awesome, from what i saw it really shined in color rendition. We havent been able to keep a PST scope in stock long enough to really set down with one do a good comparison but the reticles were outstanding and glass quality was awesome as well.
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 03-30-2011, 11:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerch View Post
We sell both the Zeiss and the Vortex line and I love them both. THe Zeiss scopes will have excellent glass and the z-600,800 and 1000 reticles have really sparked there appeal to the long range shooter.

I would say the vortex PST and Razor line would have the edge in any tactical department and their turrets have proven to be very very dependable, standing side by side with NF all day long. The glass in the Razor line is awesome, from what i saw it really shined in color rendition. We havent been able to keep a PST scope in stock long enough to really set down with one do a good comparison but the reticles were outstanding and glass quality was awesome as well.
Thats what we all want to see. A good comparison with the PST VS. the other popular scopes you see mentioned all of the time. Most everyone waited months and months for their PST, A week more wait wont kill them, we wont tell anyone either LOL.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member

I have been reading " for the money" about the Vortex PST scopes. I really wonder if you could shoot smaller groups with rifles that have $3000 scopes than with the PSTs? I have a fairly accurate 6mm Norma BR. with a 6-24x50mm PST MOA scope with a Custom Vortex Turret that is "dead nuts accurate".

I DO NOT think I could shoot any better with anymore expensive scope and I do not care how more clearer the glass is. And this is all the way out to 1200 yards. If I can hit gongs at 1200 yards the only hinderance was READING the WIND not the scope.

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

Field test: Vortex Viper 6-24x50mm PST MOA FFP scope. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph
Old 03-31-2011, 09:43 AM
SPONSOR

It is amazing the detail that you can pick up at extended range looking through one of the highest end optics that go otherwise overlooked in higher end optics like the vortex and NF for that matter. What really proved this for me was looking through a Schmidt and Bender and seeing the difference in visible mirage that my Vortex and NF were not picking up. It is that ability to pick up the most minute details at extreme ranges that the ultra high end optics have.

For years i said there was not real difference between my highest end optics like NF and the ultra high end stuff, schmidt or hensoldt. After really comparing the scopes in practical situations i can see the difference and there is a benefit to the highest end glass. It is up to each individual to determine whether or not that benefit is worth the price tag, but it is there.
1-800-522-3314
Old 03-31-2011, 10:24 AM
Gold Member

So I guess the big question is. Is a nightforce NXS worth spending $1000 more over an equally equipped viper PST?
Old 03-31-2011, 11:08 AM
SPONSOR

I would not call them equally equipped, a better comparison to the NF would be the Vortex Razor. A more accurate comparison for the PST i would say would probably be a Mk4 if i had to come up with something. The Mk4 would cost a little more but i would probably rather have the PST
1-800-522-3314