Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vortex vs Sightron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Vortex vs Sightron

I'll take better glass over more features anytime.
My vote= Sightron SIII
I have 5 of them,and have never had a problem with any of them.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member

I go between the SIII and the PST, I use both depending on the build. The glass is very close but I give an edge to the SIII but sometimes function is more important than glass and in a lot of hunting that is the case. For my everyday rifles that get road hard and put away wet I use the PST because it's more functional and faster, on the ELR rifle that rides nice and comfy in a case and not dragged around I use the SIII because of glass, reticle and more MOA. Both track fairly much dead nuts true MOA. Real toss up!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 02-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Gold Member

JP, not commenting on the 2 scopes cause I have no Info., BUT some food for thought no matter the price or name of scopes.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by emn83 View Post
.................................................. ................................ I've looked through both and, maybe my eyesight isn't good, But I couldn't tell a difference, in bright and lower light............................................. ........
"my eyesight" .....emn83 has nailed one of the most important parts of picking scope (A) over scope (B)....for each of us!

This will apply to $100 > $2,200 scopes. You have to look through them and use your eyes not mine. Mine are 71 yrs old and almost used up so what you see is all that counts. Below is my post on how I made my decision on which high dollar scope would solve my problem. I traded MY FINAL ELK HUNT(someday $$$wise) to get EQ. that would prevent what had just cost me a BULL from happening again under those exact conditions!

Long range scopes

Good luck.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I go between the SIII and the PST, I use both depending on the build. The glass is very close but I give an edge to the SIII but sometimes function is more important than glass and in a lot of hunting that is the case. For my everyday rifles that get road hard and put away wet I use the PST because it's more functional and faster, on the ELR rifle that rides nice and comfy in a case and not dragged around I use the SIII because of glass, reticle and more MOA. Both track fairly much dead nuts true MOA. Real toss up!!!
What do you mean by more functional and faster? To me the only thing the vortex does better than the sightron is having an illuminated reticle.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:50 AM
Silver Member

Thanks guys. Im not that worried about good glass as i usually ony shoot long range in good conditions. All I wanted to know was wether they are reliable and have true MOA values wich seems they do.
Might just get the sightron as I kcant find any people stocking Vortex in NZ
Old 02-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
What do you mean by more functional and faster? To me the only thing the vortex does better than the sightron is having an illuminated reticle.

FFP, and Zerostop aswell
Old 02-10-2013, 09:06 AM
Silver Member

If you are going to go LR target look at the SIII 8-32x56 with the 2nd FP LRMOA reticle. Prefect tracking and for me the dot in the middle of the reticle and 2nd FP ( the dot does not get any bigger on you ) helps me to make precise shots with the 300RUM tack hammer it sits on.