Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vortex vs. Nightforce..... school me.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 11:31 PM

Vortex vs. Nightforce..... school me.

I'm curious what the feelings are on these two optics makers. Is one better than the other?

I am thinking of adding them to my line of optics but need feedback!

Are both high quality? Are both tough enough for high recoil rifles? Is one better at something vs the other?

Why would you buy one over the other?

Thanks for your thoughts on these two!
Old 12-16-2011, 02:38 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Vortex vs. Nightforce..... school me.

[QUOTE=ShortBBL;584637] I am thinking of adding them to my line of optics but need feedback!

Do you have a store where you plan on selling them or just adding to your collection?

I have a Vortex 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA with a Vortex custom turret that will do everything a NF will do at half the cost in MHO.

SWFA Vortex Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper PST Rifle Scopes

joseph

PS: I read some where they have been used on 50 BMGs without any issues.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Vortex vs. Nightforce..... school me.-bling-4.jpg   Vortex vs. Nightforce..... school me.-vortex-bubble-level-1.jpg  

Old 12-17-2011, 03:11 AM
Silver Member

Am curious Joseph, what caliber is that in the picture, I love the paint job on the stock. I too have checked out both scopes. I would love to check out a vortex razor HD, not that I can afford any of them. For now my sightron S3 is what I have on my 280AI
Old 12-17-2011, 09:16 AM
Platinum Member

I like both of them, but for different calibers, different methds of shooting and for sure different distances.

As indicated by the price there are huge differences in quality of construction and glass. There is no free lunch, you get what you pay for. But for a novice or a person that only intends to shoot to a givin distance lets say 700 to 1000 the lesser price Viper will fill the bill just fine. But for the advanced shooter that will shoot to 1200, 1500 or even past 2000 yards the Nightforce will be more of a pleasure.

The repeatability of the turrets on the NF is very very good. Not to mention the feel of the turrets as you are cranking them up. This feeling is something you would only know if you have shot both scopes. The detents are secod to none as far as firmness and definition is concerned. If you tell the NF to move 2 .25 moa at 1000 yards and adjust the turret as so, that is what it does. The NF zerostop system is in my opionion way advanced and superior to the PST also.

The PST is a great scope and will get it done. But it just simply is not a NightForce as the price reflects.

So, it depends of the level of shooting you do, your budget, and if you want the added quality of the NF NXS.

JMO

Jeff
Old 12-17-2011, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird63 View Post
Am curious Joseph, what caliber is that in the picture, I love the paint job on the stock. I too have checked out both scopes. I would love to check out a vortex razor HD, not that I can afford any of them. For now my sightron S3 is what I have on my 280AI
If you look at the top of the custom turret it says 6mm BR. To be more specific it is a 6mm Norma BR. which has a longer neck than the old Remington 6mm BR.

joseph
Old 12-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

the guys over at snipers hide about half of them had some sort of issue with their scopes and had to send them back in. thats not too good if you ask me. but they all did seem very happy with the product and would buy again, despite having issues.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:42 AM
Bronze Member

whats the feeling between the Razor HD vs. the nightforce?