Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vortex Viper- quick review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Vortex Viper- quick review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter02 View Post
I understand eye relief, and when i say across the board, i am referring to the entire line up of PST's.

So am I. I have a 4.5-16 and 2 6.5-24 50's among others.

And what you say is that is warped. Its not the eye relief changing, its how finicky the eye box is. It stays at 4" regardless of how technical you want to get. I can keep my head in the exact same spot and have a full sight picture throughout the entire mag range.
You sure about that??? Read the post following yours. Thats what occurs when you crank up the magnification. Eye relief never stays constant, it can't because the internal focal length changes with magnificatikon increases.

If the eye relief stayed constant no one would ever get a black eye no matter how much recoil the weapon produced.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

MHO, good feed back. I was hoping for someone to chime in who has both and uses both.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:35 PM

Yes I am sure, I had the scope in front of me and went through the entire mag range (starting on the lowest) and did not have to move my head what so ever to get the full sight picture. In my mind that is the definition of staying consistent. And look at there specs on there line up for the PST's. They are listed at a consistent 4". Not a range like the Viper's, Diamondbacks, and Crossfire's. If you were referring to the Viper's, you are correct. If you have to move your head closer because you are going up in magnification, you mounted your scope incorrectly. I think first hand experience trumps your scientific explanation. I will agree it is less forgiving at higher end magnification, but the eye relief is not changing.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:37 PM

And I'm sure there are plenty of people that can get a black eye just from poor shooting form, not lack of eye relief.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Silver Member

THats why when I mount my scope I always set it to my eye on the max power. Then it will be comfortable at any power.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:21 PM
Bronze Member

Hunter02, try an experiment for me.. with your PST at 6x, slide your head back on your stock as far as you can while still maintaining a full sight picture. Once you reach the point where your sight picture starts to 'black out' on the edges, stop (this is the max eye relief). Now, with your head in the same position as stated above, run your scope through the magnification range. You will notice your sight picture start to black out as you increase the zoom. In order to get a full sight picture again at max zoom (24x), you would have to slide your head/eye forward on the stock towards the ocular lense.

As SideCarFlip was implying, this happens with all scopes. You just don't notice on your particular setup since your scope is setup such that your head/eye is in an optimal position (full sight picture throughout the magnification range).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter02 View Post
Yes I am sure, I had the scope in front of me and went through the entire mag range (starting on the lowest) and did not have to move my head what so ever to get the full sight picture. In my mind that is the definition of staying consistent. And look at there specs on there line up for the PST's. They are listed at a consistent 4". Not a range like the Viper's, Diamondbacks, and Crossfire's. If you were referring to the Viper's, you are correct. If you have to move your head closer because you are going up in magnification, you mounted your scope incorrectly. I think first hand experience trumps your scientific explanation. I will agree it is less forgiving at higher end magnification, but the eye relief is not changing.