Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vortex Viper- quick review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member

Vortex Viper- quick review

I have a NF NXS 5.5-22x56 NPR1. My buddy got a Vortex Viper PST 5-20x50 MOA. I think I got the specs right anyway. He got the scope for less than 700.

For the money this scope is awesome. There are a few features I like about the NF better; better eye relief, HS turrents, and NPR1 reticle. However, the Viper has just as good of glass and functions on par with my NF. I was looking at getting second scope that I can mount on the 204 and 3006 for more LR rifle fun, and I think this is the route I want to go.

Has anyone experienced problems with the Viper line of Vortex LR scopes?

Old 09-12-2013, 10:53 AM
Gold Member

Re: Vortex Viper- quick review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
I have a NF NXS 5.5-22x56 NPR1. My buddy got a Vortex Viper PST 5-20x50 MOA. I think I got the specs right anyway. He got the scope for less than 700.

For the money this scope is awesome. There are a few features I like about the NF better; better eye relief, HS turrents, and NPR1 reticle. However, the Viper has just as good of glass and functions on par with my NF. I was looking at getting second scope that I can mount on the 204 and 3006 for more LR rifle fun, and I think this is the route I want to go.

Has anyone experienced problems with the Viper line of Vortex LR scopes?
my son bought one about a year ago. i believe his is a 6x24 version.
when we installed the scope the windage wouldnt work during sight in.
a call to the dealer (euro optic) brought a quick responce from a factory rep.
he told us we had tightened the rings too tight. i bought a torque wrench and
reset the screws at 15 inch pounds and the scope worked fine. so far it appears to do all you could ask for. but be aware they could have thinner tubes than say a night force.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:57 PM

A Viper PST 6-24x50 would have a 30mm tube. Not sure what NF's eye relief is, but the PST lineup has 4" across the board.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter02 View Post
A Viper PST 6-24x50 would have a 30mm tube. Not sure what NF's eye relief is, but the PST lineup has 4" across the board.
That board is warped....lol

They have 4" of ocular relief but it's at minimum magnification. With any scope, no matter what the price point, as you increase magnification, ocular relief decreases and FOV (field of view) decreases as well. Thats how it works.

When any scope seller quotes eye relief, it's always at minimum magnification.

In as much as I have 3 Vipers mounted on various rifles. I have no issue with eye relief at any magnification. Just be apprised that the chance for a black eye increases with magnification and firearm recoil.

Additionally, to say that a Viper is as clear as a Night Force or a Night Force is as clear as a Schmidt and Bender is entirely subjective because each person's eyes are different so each person 'sees' differently, one reason the ocular is adjustable, to 'fine tune' it to an individual's sight perception.

A blanket statement about this is clearer or as clear as that, is purely subjective.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:23 PM

I understand eye relief, and when i say across the board, i am referring to the entire line up of PST's.

And what you say is that is warped. Its not the eye relief changing, its how finicky the eye box is. It stays at 4" regardless of how technical you want to get. I can keep my head in the exact same spot and have a full sight picture throughout the entire mag range.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

I found on the higher mag setting the Vortex was much less forgiving and required me to scootchy my eyebrow much closer to the scope to get the best view. The NF was better in this aspect for me in both cases. If I were to set it at the max mag and view the target then back the scope off I too could see fine through entire range of mag. The same goes with the NF but it has a longer ER from my perspective behind both scopes. The biggest difference was finding center on the vortex was more difficult. I found at a few less mag range it was better and I was more comfortable.

Both scopes in the lower light of the day produced very favorable results. I compared both at 12x in the last hour of light at 840 yards. Differences in the two were minimal.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Gold Member

My two cents, For the money you cant beat the vortex pst 6-24-50. I own many. I also own a few nightforce scopes. At longer distance though 600 plus, I think the nightforce has an edge. Again just my two cents.