Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vortex Viper PST question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Silver Member

Vortex Viper PST question

I have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50. I have been noticing that I have to have my eye just right looking through the scope or I get this black ring in the eye peice. I assume it is a eye relief thing. I thought I read something on this forum about these scopes doing that, but I seem not to be able to find that post. Does anyone else have this problem?

Jason
Old 01-02-2012, 12:53 AM

Re: Vortex Viper PST question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornchuck View Post
I have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50. I have been noticing that I have to have my eye just right looking through the scope or I get this black ring in the eye peice. I assume it is a eye relief thing. I thought I read something on this forum about these scopes doing that, but I seem not to be able to find that post. Does anyone else have this problem?

Jason

Im fixing to buy the same scope,like to keep up with what ya find out.

My nightforce zoomed a 32 you have to line up just right for it also.
thanks
Old 01-02-2012, 02:33 AM
Silver Member

It sounds like you are describing the size of the eye box. If that is the case all scopes will do this. Some brands/models have a wider box than others. The shadowing is cause by your eye being slightly misaligned with the scope. This can happen from the scope being mounted to high or low or shooting in awkward positions where you are not placing your cheek in the same location on the stock as you normally would.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niles Coyote View Post
It sounds like you are describing the size of the eye box. If that is the case all scopes will do this. Some brands/models have a wider box than others. The shadowing is cause by your eye being slightly misaligned with the scope. This can happen from the scope being mounted to high or low or shooting in awkward positions where you are not placing your cheek in the same location on the stock as you normally would.
X2.

I have many different scopes including a 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA and love it. They all have different black rings of different thicknesses. If your eye and cheek weld is correct you should have a clear view from one edge to the other and seeing your target should become second nature.

joseph

Here is a $3,000+ March 8-80x56mm scope:
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Vortex Viper PST question-march-8-80x56mm-.jpg