Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 11:33 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm

Sorry Cordell-I did come out a little confusing.

It seems like the guys shooting the long distances prefer FFp's. I was asking , if you are happy with the performance of the viper pst with sfp?

I'm trying to get a little in-sight or feedback from someone shooting an sfp instead of an ffp in this brand/model scope. I'm fixing to get the same scope.
BTW-Nice rig!
Old 05-18-2011, 10:53 PM
Silver Member

sticknstring,

after reading Brett’s post and re reading your question I understand your question now. Sorry I had been up for 20 hour straight and the brain was failing me.

The FFP reti is in 2 moa hash marks and the SFP is in 1 moa hash marks. The FFP has 30 Moa below the x and the SFP has 10 moa.

I have not looked through a FFP so this may be wrong. Looking on Vortex web sight and according to what others are saying the FFP ret is thicker. I would rather have the thinner ret and 1 moa hash marks than thicker ret and 2 moa spacing.

People say you have to power down to range due to heat waves. Where i hunt, the hunting seasons are in the fall and it is usually cooler and heat waves are not to much of an issue. If i need to power down it can. The power ring on the SFP has "stops" built in and stop at 6, 8, 12 and 24. At 24x the has marks are 1 moa, at 12x the hash marks are 2moa (FFP is 2 moa no mater what power you are on) at 8x the hash marks are 3 moa and at 6 they are 4 moa.

I have used SFP ret on every scope i have ever had, the work for me, until I can do I side by side I can not say for 100% that the SFP is better but the SFP works. If I went to the FFP it would be the only FFP i had so when I take my 300 RUM out that has a SFP or my 22-250 or any other SFP mounted rifle I would have to try and remember to put on max power to range, if they are all SFP I do it the same way every time.

I saved 150.00 or more with the SFP will continue shooting and hunting the way I have for many years and have 1 moa hash marks on the vertical and horizontal, not even night force has that. I really like my PST SFP.

So to sum up my answer, no I would not shoot the FFP over the SFP.

With respect to all, the FFP (for me) would be a step in the wrong direction. Train like you fight and fight like you train. (P.P.P.P.P.P.)

Rest easy, sleep well my brothers.
Know the line has held, your job is done.
Rest easy, sleep well.
Others have taken up where you fell, the line has held.
Peace, peace, and farewell... --Unknown--

Old 06-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Bronze Member

Cordell, may I ask how you find the 'eye box' ? Is it very critical to hold your head straight on at medium to high powers (or any power for that matter) to keep the tunnel of vision clear of shadowing or disappearing? I have very crappy vision and find most scopes are sensitive to one having to be in the 'perfect' position to get a good view..
Thanks...
Old 06-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Silver Member

drespecki,

You got me on my long 3 day weekend that I work. I will do some testing tomorrow specifically for what you are asking. I has been almost 2 months since I have been behind the scope and rifle. I will post again once I have some info for you.

Rest easy, sleep well.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Silver Member

drespecki,

I have not forgot about you, got very busy. I will compare the scope to my leupold 4.5-14 when i get some time. next week

Rest easy, sleep well.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:12 PM
Gold Member

Let us know how it does. I am thinking of getting the exact scope.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Very nice Photo's.

Mike @ CST