Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

vortex viper pst 6-24x50

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 09:24 PM

vortex viper pst 6-24x50

I bought a new viper pst scope and the glass looks good to 12x then anything above that and the clarity and brightness starts to suck. 24x is pretty hazy I compared it to my bushnell trophy xlt 6-18x50 and it looked clearer and brighter on all settings. Is my viper a turd or are they all like this? I have 10x42 razor hd binos and they are amazing glass. The scope seems pretty sweet other than the glass. Is the glass in the razor hd scopes better then the viper pst? Ive read some reviews where people say they are similar and some where people compare the razor to s&b. I hate not being able to look through scopes before I buy them.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: vortex viper pst 6-24x50

I have the same scope and the glass is on par with my leupold mark 4, i think just yours is a turd. I would give vortex a call, they should replace it with their awesome no BS warrenty.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 01-09-2013, 08:29 AM
Silver Member

^^^^^^ +1
Old 01-09-2013, 08:41 AM
Silver Member

I have both the 4-16 and the 6-24 FFP PST's and love them!

I had a problem where a little speck of something was on the lense after about a year on my 4-16, I called them up and the customer service was AWESOME! They emailed me a packing slip, I sent the package out and NINE DAYS later it was back on my doorstep good as new. 9 day turnaround including shipping there and back, and it didn't cost me a dime! Definitely call them and ship it back for them to take a look.

Win Model 70
7WSM
Work done by Jim See (Center Shot Rifles)

Old 01-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
I have the same scope and the glass is on par with my leupold mark 4, i think just yours is a turd. I would give vortex a call, they should replace it with their awesome no BS warrenty.
I agree with this. with my PST, even on a cruddy weather day, it works well to 24x. Give them a call. Everyone I've heard says they have some of the best customer service in the business
Old 01-09-2013, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member

Check that your eye piece is in focus at 24 power. I have the same scope and it is clear from 6x to 24x. Don't give up on it. Read your instructions to get everything adjusted for your eyes. It is one great scope. - - - - - - - - - -

joseph
Old 01-10-2013, 01:53 PM

I've messed with it alot and 6-12 looks close to my vx-iii but not as good, above 12 it starts looking like the lense are fogged up. There are a couple dealers within a 100 miles that have the 4-16pst in stock so I'm going to check them out and see how they compare above 12x.

The part that worries me is the more I read about these, the more I think that's just how they are. I've read people saying that they are "useable" on high powers, I would say mine is useable just foggy looking. If the 4-16s look similar I'll probably sell this one, but I'm not really sure what to look at next for a scope. I wish I could look through a razor, I don't really want to buy a mil scope, but it seems like options are low for clear on high power glass.