Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vortex Viper HD 10x42 binocs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Gold Member

Re: Vortex Viper HD 10x42 binocs

I just bought the 10 x 42 razor bino's from cameraland on their vortex sale day , July 31 . I've only played a little , but so far I'm very impressed . a couple nights ago I had a few doe in my field at 10 minutes after sunset , 8:35 pm . certain ways the doe would stand I was able to see her whiskers at 120 - 130 yards .
Old 08-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
Broz
Are you saying the $230 Diamondbacks are comparable to the $2000+ Swarovski 8x32's and can't detect any noticeable difference?
My go to Bino's are an older pair of Swarovski 8x30 SLC's. They have been back and refurbished at Swaro and new lenses were installed. So they are up to current stats. I have on many occasions compared them side by side with my wife's 10 x 42 Diamondbacks, and my sons 10x42 diamond backs. I would be just as happy with the diamondbacks as I can detect no difference in clarity. Yes, and for around $250

Jeff
Old 08-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
My go to Bino's are an older pair of Swarovski 8x30 SLC's. They have been back and refurbished at Swaro and new lenses were installed. So they are up to current stats. I have on many occasions compared them side by side with my wife's 10 x 42 Diamondbacks, and my sons 10x42 diamond backs. I would be just as happy with the diamondbacks as I can detect no difference in clarity. Yes, and for around $250

Jeff
Put them on tripods and the difference will be startling, especially at the edges. My dad bought an older pair of Viper 10x50's for $300 and at first I thought they were every bit as good as my Cabela's Euros, but side by side on a tripod the Euros were definitely better. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate buying either the Viper or Viper HD's because they are well worth the money and their warranty is incredible.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninglover1 View Post
Put them on tripods and the difference will be startling, especially at the edges. My dad bought an older pair of Viper 10x50's for $300 and at first I thought they were every bit as good as my Cabela's Euros, but side by side on a tripod the Euros were definitely better. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate buying either the Viper or Viper HD's because they are well worth the money and their warranty is incredible.
I have had the Viper spotting scope along side my Swaro ATS 80 HD 3 times. Both focused on the same targets at many ranges. In and out of shadows too. The Swaro was $2800 the viper $850. They do the same for me here also.

Jeff
Old 08-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I have had the Viper spotting scope along side my Swaro ATS 80 HD 3 times. Both focused on the same targets at many ranges. In and out of shadows too. The Swaro was $2800 the viper $850. They do the same for me here also.

Jeff
I looked through a Viper spotting scope and sold my $1700 Nikon because the Viper was honestly better. Vortex makes killer optics for the money.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:45 AM
Gold Member

kind of miss posted. My 8x42s were razors not vipers.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Silver Member

I have the 10x42 Viper HD's. I have compared them side by side with by brother's Swarovski binos which are the same magnification. I was unable to tell much of a difference. They both looked equally clear. I also have the Vortex Razor spotting scope and all I can say is WOW. It is crystal clear and comparable to any other spotting scope I have looked through.

If you are trying to eek out every last bit of performance, the Swarovski's might be better because I have heard that you can glass later with them(I never compared the two in low light). Otherwise, Vortex gets my vote.

One thing to consider is the warranty. I also have a set of Diamondbacks. I left them on the coffee table and my dog chewed up both eyepieces, not just the rubber, but to the point where the actual hardware had bite marks. I called Vortex to see how much the repair would cost and they said nothing and that they would warranty them. They have had a loyal customer out of me since.